Grounding, non-conductive chassis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 22nd December 2010, 02:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Grounding, non-conductive chassis

I have laid out my simple se on a piece of hardboard as a prototype, and want to check how I should ground the transformers.

Should I run a wire from the laminations to the earth on the mains socket? Is that enough?

I won't have a power switch or volume control yet, so it's really just the trafos and valves on display at this stage...
Old 22nd December 2010, 03:58 PM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
It's a good safety precaution, yes. I usually just put clip leads on the screws and tie them all to a common point and is tied to earth ground.
Old 22nd December 2010, 03:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Grounding Txs

Hi Skintman,
Just fit a solder tag under one of the fixing screws of the various txs chokes etc(Making sure any paint is removed) and run a wire to the mains socket earth. It is probably not necessary as all current transformers etc are usually tested for insulation between windings and also windings to core, but best to be safe.

John
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Wiring Diagrams

"GROUNDING

The grounding is very important to make the amplifier safe and eliminate hum. Any metal object that can be touched MUST be connected to the GROUND terminal on the power receptacle. VERIFY this connection with an ohm meter BEFORE powering up the amplifier. A shorted transformer could be LETHAL if not grounded, there could be hundreds of volts on the case. Leaky insulation in a transformer, or capacitor could put lethal amounts of electricity on the case, the volume control, the speaker wires, or the input jacks (electrifying the case of your CD player). Check all exposed metal for less than 1 ohm of resistance to the center terminal of the power connector. Do not operate the amplifier until this is verified!

A separate ground wire from each transformer case, capacitor case, and the volume control housing, to the GROUND terminal MUST be run if a non conductive chassis is used. If a metal chassis is used It should be securely grounded. The best place to make this ground is at the input connector. To avoid hum, this should be the only connection to the chassis. All metal objects (transformers, supplemental cap, choke, volume control, etc) should have a good paint free contact with the chassis. Again, verify this with an ohm meter before using the amp."

Quoted from the Tubelab.com website.

Hide this!Advertise here!