• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Wiring the Tubelab SE without a volume pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You'll also need to tweak the source load resistor as well. George mentioned that this was one of the changes he would like to make to this PCB: allow for separate supply rails for the FETs so that they don't have to stretch all the way from B+ to B-. You wouldn't even need a B- on the PCB anymore if you supplied your own +/- 100V rails.

Obviously you can do with with a bit of trace cutting.

an update......

The amp is up and running. I'm running it on my main system with a variac at about 90% of full throttle until the Edcor XPW131 shows up.

I've been chasing a problem of one channel not working since yesterday....long story short, the vintage 4 pin ceramic socket wasn't making good contact with the tube pins, so I unsoldered the socket, extracted the contacts, re-tensioned them, and re-installed. Problem solved, at least until the contact tension Peters out again.

I ended up removing R5, R6, C6, C7 from the board and putting them on a perf board daughter board mounted to the side of the chassis. This solved two problems; the caps on the board were too tall for my chassis (they touched the bottom cover), and this change allowed me to use big honkin' Panasonic TS-ED and TS-HB snap ins. I also changed R5 to 3K 6 watt and C7 to a 180uf Panasonic TS-HB snap in. With the Hammond 273BX (350-0-350) the B- is around 230V.

I'm still trying to get the hang of this MOSFET thing; I'm assuming that the total voltage across the MOSFET (B+ to B-) needs to be at least as much as the driver tube voltage swing plus some margin, is this correct?

A few tweaks remain. The square waves are quite square, with a little wiggle/underdamped response at the top of the wave. I'm going to swap the metal films in the amp for CC, and/or use a higher value R.

I use Alps 100K Ohm.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I purchased an Alps 100k Ohm which looks just like the one in the pic (blue velvet), but it does not fit to the Tubelab SE board. I must have checked the spacing between the pins before ordering, and I can use the pot for my Aikido project anyway so nothing hurts.

Anyways, which pot fits to the board without modification?

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.