5u4g rectifier OK in simple SE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th November 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
bwp is offline bwp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 5u4g rectifier OK in simple SE?

I am piecing together the parts for a simple SE build. I have some 5u4g rectifiers around from another amp and am wondering if they can be used as a direct replacement for the 5ar4? Do any other parts needs to be changed to accomodate it?

I have swapped it into another amp that speced the 5ar4 and it was fine, the 5u4 does not have the slow start feature of the 5ar4 so it is a bit tougher on the tubes.
Old 9th November 2010, 09:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've used the 5U4 in my Simple SE. As you point out, it is a directly heated tube and does not provide the slow start of a 5AR4. It will be harder on the tubes, and especially the power supply capacitors at each startup.

If my power transformer were rated 750VCT or less, and my power supply caps were rated 500WVDC or higher (with at least 550V surge) I'd probably use the 5U4 and not worry to much. Overall, however, I think the 5AR4 is a better choice.

If you plan to use the 5U4 on a regular basis, I might recommend substituting a smaller capacitor for C1. I think the standard parts list calls for a 47uF cap at this location. I'd probably try a 22uF instead.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:27 PM   #3
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe - it's not a direct replacement for a 5AR4.

5U4 will drop about 25 more volts than 5AR4. It also takes an extra amp of filament current. I don't think your tubes will care whether or not it has a separate cathode, I wouldn't worry about that.

In theory, C1 can be larger for a 5AR4 than a 5U4; in practice, old U.S. made 5U4's are pretty tough beasts so I wouldn't worry much about the C values. I've never killed a 5U4, and it hasn't been from lack of effort.

Win W5JAG

edit: the only rectifier tubes I've ever killed were 5AR4's and that Sovtek "5Y3", and I wasn't even trying to kill those ....

Last edited by w5jag; 9th November 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10th November 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies, I will likely give both a try and see how it goes. I do like the large coke bottle shape of the 5u4, it definitely fills out the chassis nicely.
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwp View Post
Thanks for the replies, I will likely give both a try and see how it goes. I do like the large coke bottle shape of the 5u4, it definitely fills out the chassis nicely.

get serious dude, and try one of these:

274A Data sheet. Emission Labs.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I would love to..... for $20. They do make great tubes but man o man are they spendy. On a side note, anyone know where I can find a 22uf 550v or 47uf 550v caps? I am having a heck of a time finding radial caps in those ratings.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Could use a 440vac motor run capacitor. Something like this one would work LINK
Old 25th November 2010, 06:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwp View Post
I would love to..... for $20. They do make great tubes but man o man are they spendy. On a side note, anyone know where I can find a 22uf 550v or 47uf 550v caps? I am having a heck of a time finding radial caps in those ratings.
You might try MCM electronics on the web

Hide this!Advertise here!