"favorite" outputs for Simple P/P? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 22nd November 2010, 08:14 PM   #41
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Maybe Santa will bring you a NOS Mullard GZ34.
I guess I could swap out the input cap and try my Cetron 5R4WGB - or ask Santa for one of those nice EML274B, but neither are likely to fit the spacing on the chassis, and it would be just a little bit silly to invest more in the rectifier than the rest of the amp cost me out of pocket

Quote:

What are the coupling cap values? I have a hand-full of 0.22uf K40's here, they are a little on the large side physically.
stock circuit value is .1mF - I ordered some Solen Tin Foil films that I very much enjoyed in other projects

Quote:

Are you really using 6P15P's, or that a typo?

jeff
yup - typo , and come to think of it, I may have mistyped that more than once before
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:12 PM   #42
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting your impressions Chris. I should have known I'd be the only one who preferred no NGFB...I thought it might have been due to the full-range drivers I was using, but maybe its just the sound me and my wife like...maybe we need to clean our old ears out

Anyway, glad you like it, the extra power certainly helps, even with single Mark Audio drivers. I find 6 watts will do the job very nicely, but the 15W or 17W or whatever of the Simple PP does it easier/better.
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:33 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444 View Post
Thanks for posting your impressions Chris. I should have known I'd be the only one who preferred no NGFB...I thought it might have been due to the full-range drivers I was using, but maybe its just the sound me and my wife like...maybe we need to clean our old ears out

Anyway, glad you like it, the extra power certainly helps, even with single Mark Audio drivers. I find 6 watts will do the job very nicely, but the 15W or 17W or whatever of the Simple PP does it easier/better.

I haven't played with defeating the feedback yet - will probably try that over the next couple of evenings
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:13 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I guess I could swap out the input cap and try my Cetron 5R4WGB - or ask Santa for one of those nice EML274B, but neither are likely to fit the spacing on the chassis, and it would be just a little bit silly to invest more in the rectifier than the rest of the amp cost me out of pocket
Those Emission Lab tubes definitely rate a 10 on the old drool meter.

I have an old Mullard 5AR4 in my HK amp, which is taking a rest at the moment. You're more than welcome to try it out.

jeff
Old 25th November 2010, 08:27 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those Emission Lab tubes definitely rate a 10 on the old drool meter.

I have an old Mullard 5AR4 in my HK amp, which is taking a rest at the moment. You're more than welcome to try it out.

jeff

why the heck not? - but let's wait for the snow to stay melted

I'll likely be delayed at least a few more days pulling the trigger on any new outputs for this baby, and wonder if anyone has opinions or experience regarding to the JJ EL844? It looks like the manufacturer hasn't updated their web-page yet, but several distributors are posting availability of several new models, including "reduced power, more balanced frequency response" EL84 (also new fat bottle 6CA7 and 6550)

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-u.htm

Click the image to open in full size.

now exactly why anyone would intentionally design a 30% lower power output I'm still not clear about yet, but only the hearing would really give the answer to that

and I wonder how ES feels about the logo - who wouldn't want to ride shotgun with ms high output

Last edited by chrisb; 25th November 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 25th November 2010, 08:48 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
why the heck not? - but let's wait for the snow to stay melted
Ok.

Quote:
now exactly why anyone would intentionally design a 30% lower power output I'm still not clear about yet, but only the hearing would really give the answer to that
That's a bit of a head scratcher, given that the current production has a good reputation.

jeff
Old 25th November 2010, 10:31 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok.

That's a bit of a head scratcher, given that the current production has a good reputation.

jeff

I don't think it's intended to replace their "standard" EL84 - perhaps its performance is something that musicians would more appreciate? George, any thoughts there?
Old 25th November 2010, 11:36 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't think it's intended to replace their "standard" EL84 - perhaps its performance is something that musicians would more appreciate?
Good point. These new tubes seem to be all over the guitar sites.

Specs For New JJ Tubes: 6550, 6CA7, EL844 - The Gear Page

jeff
Old 26th November 2010, 02:38 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

I just got email from CE Distribution, the other side of Antique Electronics's warehouse. They are claiming the new EL844 "has lower gain for a smoother tone". The spec sheet shows a 9 watt plate rating VS 12 watts for the EL84, yet CE claime that these are drop in replacements in EL84 amps. They do seem to be aimed at the guitar amp market.

There is some speculation that they are derived from the old Russian EL83/SV83/6P15P tube which doesn't handle the Simple P-P voltages well. To me it looks more like a 6AQ5 in a 9 pin bottle. I can find no references to anyone actually using these tubes on the internet, so I would wait until someone else melts a few.
Old 26th November 2010, 02:56 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default typical operating points?

so I finally got around to taking a few measures on the amp a few minutes ago, and wonder if I need to worry about life span of the output tubes (which according to Dave, whom I'll trust 'cause I certainly can't read the Cyrillic, are the 6P15P-EV after all)

anyway, with 123V coming out of the wall, after about 10 minutes warm up, and with 5 load on 4ohm tap (the closest value loads I had on hand) I'm getting the following readings:

12AT7 (NOS Sylvania 6201)

1 = 243 / 250 (L/R)
2 = 115 / 109.5
3 = 116 / 110.9
6 = 110 / 109.6
8= 1.015 / 1.032

Outputs
plates = 368 (average of all 4)
screens = 370 (average of all 4 - 820R for pentode mode as suggested)
cathode = 11.06 / 11.16 / 11.23 / 11.47

1) do these make sense?, and

2) as noted earlier, I wouldn't mind rolling at least one set of different output type/brand, but don't want to be replacing them like this was a Vox AC30, and wonder if any of these operating should be dialed down a bit even for the JJ's, etc.?

edit:

George, thanks for the above post -( while I was composing the above masterpiece ) - you've more or less confirmed that I should probably consider something other than the SV83 clan for this one

Last edited by chrisb; 26th November 2010 at 02:59 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!