"favorite" outputs for Simple P/P? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 17th February 2011, 10:28 PM   #91
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Chris,
Congrat's on nice gifts! Maybe you are but if not check those New EL84's in the dark as hopefully they aren't like the EH EL84's early in the thread. Interesting to see how the new Shuguang's are!
Old 28th February 2011, 06:18 PM   #92
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyauck View Post
Chris,
Congrat's on nice gifts! Maybe you are but if not check those New EL84's in the dark as hopefully they aren't like the EH EL84's early in the thread. Interesting to see how the new Shuguang's are!

After burning them in at home for a week or so, I took the amp to Jeff's for a short listening session Sunday afternoon (time well spent waiting for paint to dry on a home reno project - even had my wife's blessing )

For the best part of the past 11yrs since my first tube amp (Jolida 302B/EL34), triode no feedback has been my preference for either SE or P/P amps, and would definitely consider pentode mode as the acid test of acceptability. It'd be easier to swap the tube set over to my triode connected El Cheapo amp than to dig into and convert the S-PP to assess the Psvannes finesse at lower power, but based on yesterday's session driving both Fostex FE167E (approx 2? cu ft ported) and FX120 (Fonken) to my ears they certainly passed the test.

Jeff, your impressions?
Old 28th February 2011, 07:42 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Jeff, your impressions?
Given our brief, but highly enjoyable listening session, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these tubes. The amp sounds very smooth and natural, with good BW, especially bass depth. Actually, scary good at times, considering the modest circuit configuration.

Of course, having vintage Scott output iron doesn't hurt.

jeff
Old 2nd March 2011, 06:21 AM   #94
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

I always love getting new tubes, what a wonderful gift. Did the Psvane's sound much better than the JJ EL84 Chris?
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:48 PM   #95
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444 View Post
I always love getting new tubes, what a wonderful gift. Did the Psvane's sound much better than the JJ EL84 Chris?

I should probably try a blind test, 'cause since they were prepaid on credit card I'm still going through the justification phase ( which could last several times longer than tube burn-in)

in short - "I thin' so Baba-Looey"

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!