Simple SE Tubelab.com - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 4th October 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Fenn is offline Fenn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Simple SE Tubelab.com

Going to be ordering this PCB. I am completely new to the land of tubes and electronics. I have some experience with electrical but it's limited. Because of this I am going to have a bazillion questions and I will need all of your help. I have a soldering station on order. Aoyue 937+
While I am waiting to order the PCB, there is a transformer manufacturer right next door to my place of work. On tubelab.com he goes into detail about what will be needed for a transformer but he mentions making sure it is SE and not PP, what would be all the info I should give the transformer guys?
Thanks.
Old 4th October 2010, 04:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A. Move this to the tubelab.com forum here.

B. Only have them roll the power transformers. Tube output transformers is a dark art, and SE are really hard to get right unless they have been doing them for years.

Id stick to the Edcor CSXE25-8-5K or hammond unless you want to get real pricey. You can save half by going to 40hz instead of 20hz with edcor

Hammond Mfg. - "Classic" Single Ended Tube Output Transformers - (1627 - 1642 Series)
EDCOR - CXSE25-4-5K

Edcor CXSE25-8-4K vs Hammond 1628SEA?
Old 4th October 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

How do I move it to tubelab.com forum? I didn't know there was one here, sorry.

B. Good to know thanks.

Those seem to be very pricey transformers. This is my first build and I don't need it to be the best thing possible. 25W is a lot. I thought in the description it said something like 5-14W output from the build? Maybe I misread.
Old 4th October 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Fenn: The Tubelab forum is here:

Tubelab - diyAudio

Another cheaper (and very nice) Edcor alternative is the GXSE series for around $80/pr.......Tubelab George usually uses 5K primary impedance, although depending on your tube choices you may want to consider a 3K (ie with KT88's)

You also want UL taps on the transformer also, allowing UL operation as well as triode if desired.

Other cost effective transformers are the Trancendars on ebay.
Old 4th October 2010, 05:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
...there is a transformer manufacturer right next door to my place of work. ...what would be all the info I should give the transformer guys?
As others have mentioned, preferably your manufacturer has some prior experience winding audio output transformers and he should know how to interleave windings. If he doesn't, I'd be tempted to go elsewhere - unless his prices are really good. Really, he needs to be able to design a single ended output transformer from scratch. If you have to tell him the design, the results will probably be less than spectacular. If you are capable of creating a good transformer design, chances are you already wind them yourself.

He might need the following specifications from you:
  • Impedance of the primary winding (3K, 5K, or something else)
  • Impedance of the secondary winding (4 ohm speakers, 8 ohm speakers, etc.)
  • Primary DC current (probably 50~100mA) which affects core size and air gap
  • Power handling (5 watt? 10 watt?) which affects core size, wire gauge
  • Desired low frequency extension (30 Hz? 20 Hz?) - affected by primary inductance

Last edited by Ty_Bower; 4th October 2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 4th October 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That's great I will ask them if they have experience with any audio transformers. If it's cheap enough I may be tempted to let him try it either way. I looked on ebay for trancendar and the search came back with nothing. I think I will be using 6V6, 12AX7, and 5Y3 tubes. As some of these will come in pairs and I will use the left over to build a champ amp when I am done. Will these tubes work with this board? It shows 6V6 on the Tube and Transformer page on tubelab.com. But it shows 12AT7 and 5AR4, I don't know how interchangeable they are. With these tubes how would I go about building the specs for the transformer? Should I start a different way? Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 02:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Fenn,
IMHO, you can't go wrong with the edcors if your neighbor can't wind them. Transcendors are hard to find.
With the edcors, my favorite are the middle of the road ones. I think they are the GX series. Very detailed and lively with an outstanding soundstage. Upgrading to the more expensive CXE's was not to my liking at all. The amp was slow and compressed. Had a little better bass but the sacrifice was too much.

I used kt88's in mine.
Old 5th October 2010, 02:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The 12at7 is the driver tube. I would stick with the instructions first. The output tubes are to you choice. We can help guide you in selecting the right PT and bias resistor for the output tubes.

Once you get a handle on how to set up an operating point for a given tube then trying different drivers will become easy.
Old 5th October 2010, 02:52 AM   #9
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think I will be using 6V6, 12AX7, and 5Y3 tubes. As some of these will come in pairs and I will use the left over to build a champ amp when I am done. Will these tubes work with this board? It shows 6V6 on the Tube and Transformer page on tubelab.com. But it shows 12AT7 and 5AR4, I don't know how interchangeable they are. With these tubes how would I go about building the specs for the transformer? Should I start a different way? Thanks
If you are completely new to tubes and electronics as indicated in your first post, it might be best to do your first build exactly as Tubelab designed it.

Win W5JAG
Old 5th October 2010, 12:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think I will be using 6V6, 12AX7, and 5Y3 tubes... But it shows 12AT7 and 5AR4, I don't know how interchangeable they are.
You can use the 6V6, just be sure your power transformer provides roughly 540VCT. The 5Y3 should work just fine, especially if you're using 6V6 for the output tubes.

The 12AX7 will not be a good substitute for the 12AT7. I'd guess it will live a short, unhappy life and offer poor performance. The operating conditions enforced by the CCS would result in too much current through the 'X7, exceeding its maximum current and plate dissipation ratings. If you absolutely must substitute, I believe some people have successfully tried the 12AU7. Note that the 'U7 will offer lower gain than the 'T7.

Hide this!Advertise here!