Simple SE Tubelab.com - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th October 2010, 11:59 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshm View Post
For C1 the recommended part is 47uf 500V. With 500v caps harder to find, would 68uF 500v work here or would there be too much stress on the rectifier? I am thinking of using a 5AR4 rectifier.
I wouldn't. If anything, I'd rather go smaller, rather than larger. There are enough problems reported with rectifiers arc'ing. Some will survive, but you're just asking for trouble.
Old 9th October 2010, 12:05 PM   #32
sureshm is offline sureshm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks SGregory and Ty.

Is it just the capacitance before the choke or resistor that matters for the max 60uF? I know 120uf is recommended to follow the 47uf and choke, so the rectifier won't be affected by this larger cap later in the circuit (or the optional motor cap?). Just trying to understand how the PS works.
Old 9th October 2010, 01:11 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Or just go solid state for the rectifier. The the cap size doesnt matter. He even has an option for it.

You are correct. The tube rec cant handle more then 60uf right off the bat. It would arc at turn on. Down the way you can add more capacitance, but with diminishing returns. You could always just pop the 68uf where the motor run cap should be and install R1 or a choke.

Last edited by nightanole; 9th October 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 13th October 2010, 01:34 AM   #34
sureshm is offline sureshm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have any spare IXCP10M45S that they can ship to Australia in a padded envelope? I tried ordering that part from both Mouser and Digikey and was told that the part is restricted for export out of the US by the manufacturer.

Thanks
Old 13th October 2010, 03:48 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
Super broke. Never said I was using KT88's. Sgregory mentioned them. I'll be back on in a little bit.
FWIW, I've played with all the common tubes in my SSE, using Edcor XSE OPT's. All sound good in but the KT-88 definitely shines in UL mode when the program material demands higher volume settings. I suspect that the GX transformers would be a little bit better, but just enough to justify the extra $25 per pair. That said, most of my listening is, for reasons of domestic harmony, done at lower levels and the tubes that spend the most time in the amp are my EL-34's. This setup sounds good, so good that I've not even considered upgrading the OPT's.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:58 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn77478 View Post
FWIW, I've played with all the common tubes in my SSE, using Edcor XSE OPT's. All sound good in but the KT-88 definitely shines in UL mode when the program material demands higher volume settings. I suspect that the GX transformers would be a little bit better, but just enough to justify the extra $25 per pair. That said, most of my listening is, for reasons of domestic harmony, done at lower levels and the tubes that spend the most time in the amp are my EL-34's. This setup sounds good, so good that I've not even considered upgrading the OPT's.
I had considered using the large Edcors but I do not need an amp that goes down to 20Hz. The middle of the road GXSE series reach down to 40Hz which is a bit lower than the full range drivers (CSS EL -70)I bought for the amp reach. It struck me lately that using the X series might be great for a dedicated mid/tweet amp for bi amping an appropriate speaker set up. Going to build a set of Coniston^2's for my simple se. http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-CSS.html

Last edited by motosapien; 14th October 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 14th October 2010, 01:42 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

just about any edcor will play down to 20-30hz regardless of model. However if you get the cheap 70hz ones, they will only play a few watts before distorting. diyaudioprojects measured the 70hz models way down since he was only pushing 1 watt

Poddwatt Class-A Stereo EL84 (6BQ5) Vacuum Tube Amplifier

Hide this!Advertise here!