Simple SE Tubelab.com - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 5th October 2010, 01:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
I looked on ebay for trancendar and the search came back with nothing. Thanks
The Transcendars are a little tricky to find on Ebay, since Gery from Transcendar does not put the word "Transcendar" in the auction title........do a seller search on Ebay for ggaet. It appears that he is selling a bunch of HP test equipment presently; the last Transcendar auction was in January. You could always email him.......The Trancendars are available with and without UL taps in 3K & 5K flavors. I would get the UL taps (for $5 more) since that will allow ultralinear operation. They usually sell for around $120-$130 or so.
Old 5th October 2010, 02:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
Fenn,
IMHO, you can't go wrong with the edcors if your neighbor can't wind them. Transcendors are hard to find.
With the edcors, my favorite are the middle of the road ones. I think they are the GX series. Very detailed and lively with an outstanding soundstage. Upgrading to the more expensive CXE's was not to my liking at all. The amp was slow and compressed. Had a little better bass but the sacrifice was too much.

I used kt88's in mine.
Bigger is better doesnt work as well with output transformers. The gx are only rated to 40hz at full power, but will go lower then 20hz with less power. Upping to the cxes means they want 25 watts, which is a bad match for the amp unless it can provide at least half that. If your running the kt88 (HUGE) in triode mode your only putting out like 7 watts. So ya the smaller guys would sound better.
Old 5th October 2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Fenn is offline Fenn  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow. Loads of info. Thanks so much guys. Some have mentioned to stick with the original build, but it's a little pricey and the reason I was looking at this PCB was because it said I could go with cheaper stuff. Also, it's kind of hard to tell what the real build is because he has done like 50 billion experiments with them. It seems some people are saying go with the $100+ transformers, but this is my first amp and my wife would kill me if I spent that much and then had to buy everything else.
Ty_Bower: Thanks for explaining about the X7's and T7's. I'll go with the T7's since they are about the same price anyway.
Nightanole: I spent last night searching through tubelab.com on my phone. I don't have the internet at home. I saw that he mentioned the Edcor XSE15-8-5K for that price I am ready to order if people think it would be good. I would see about making my PT order from them as well. I've decided not to limit the tubes too much. The 300B's will probably be too much for me. I will call a local tube shop and see what price they would give me. If there is a tube that seems like it would work better than another one in the Edcor please let me know. And please explain the reasoning to me. I really am interested in learning the why's. Lastly, I appreciate your guys kindness. Thanks everyone.
Old 5th October 2010, 03:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The Transcendars are a little tricky to find on Ebay... do a seller search on Ebay for ggaet.
He seems to be selling off unused test equipment under the ggaet username, but the transformers seem to sell under the username "transcendar". Of course, there isn't a whole lot of activity recently. I think Gery is in a state of semi-retirement, and makes transformers only occasionally. You might try contacting him directly.
Old 5th October 2010, 03:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I did look him up and I got the same results Ty. I will search out the Transcendars more at a later date. $120 is a bit steep for me right now.

I looked at the PT specs on Tubelab.com and it seems like the XPWR002 will match up close enough. If I go with something that requires less power can I just use resistors or something to adjust this? I want to start ordering soon.
Old 5th October 2010, 04:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I looked at the PT specs on Tubelab.com and it seems like the XPWR002 will match up close enough.
I once did a little searching and also thought the XPWR002 might fit.
Simple SE build costs

Keep in mind that all the XPWR models I noted (002, 033, 035, 048, 059, 134) are 700VCT or higher. They will work great for EL34, 6L6, or larger types. They are no good for 6V6. If you want to run the smaller tubes, you need a PT that makes about 540VCT.

Don't forget the Allied power transformers:
Allied 6K7VG, 750VCT
Allied 6K56VG, 540VCT

If you get an Allied PT, pick up a Triad C-14X choke while you are there.

If you buy a PT that can supply more mA current than you require, you should be OK. No adjustments should be necessary. If you buy a PT that makes a higher voltage than you need, you will likely be in a pickle. It can be awkward to try to drop the higher voltage down to a lower level. Cemented resistors can work, but they will dump a lot of heat. You can also try choke loading the power supply (instead of cap loading).

Last edited by Ty_Bower; 5th October 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wow. Loads of info. Thanks so much guys. Some have mentioned to stick with the original build, but it's a little pricey and the reason I was looking at this PCB was because it said I could go with cheaper stuff. Also, it's kind of hard to tell what the real build is because he has done like 50 billion experiments with them. It seems some people are saying go with the $100+ transformers, but this is my first amp and my wife would kill me if I spent that much and then had to buy everything else.
Ty_Bower: Thanks for explaining about the X7's and T7's. I'll go with the T7's since they are about the same price anyway.
Nightanole: I spent last night searching through tubelab.com on my phone. I don't have the internet at home. I saw that he mentioned the Edcor XSE15-8-5K for that price I am ready to order if people think it would be good. I would see about making my PT order from them as well. I've decided not to limit the tubes too much. The 300B's will probably be too much for me. I will call a local tube shop and see what price they would give me. If there is a tube that seems like it would work better than another one in the Edcor please let me know. And please explain the reasoning to me. I really am interested in learning the why's. Lastly, I appreciate your guys kindness. Thanks everyone.
the xse is very plain looking with no endbells, it also will not have much bass and isnt a good match for a kt88. Id go for the gxse for like an extra 25 bucks a pair unless your going to run something really low wattage in UL mode (kt88 is as big as it gets)

For cheap power transformers check out antek. They are about half as much as edcor or less.

Kt88's are expensive, you could try a el34 in UL mode. If you want more power you can switch to kt120's but you will need to up your voltage and change all the electrolytic caps to something that can handle the voltage.

Not to thow a monkey into the wrench, but have you thought about the simple PP? You can get russian el84 (614p or something) for a like a buck each. And the output transformers will be half as much.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The Edcor XSE15-8-5K would work fine if you are on a budget. Great $$ to performance ratio. The XSE10 series would also work; rated at 10W instead of 15W for a whopping $6 less per pair.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Simple chart:
10 watt xse = $17.22
15 watt xse = $20
10 watt gxse= $26.10
15 watt gxse= $37

So its like $40 from cheapest to most expensive per pair? How broke is this guy if hes running kt88's?
Old 5th October 2010, 05:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
Simple chart:
10 watt xse = $17.22
15 watt xse = $20
10 watt gxse= $26.10
15 watt gxse= $37

So its like $40 from cheapest to most expensive per pair? How broke is this guy if hes running kt88's?
Super broke. Never said I was using KT88's. Sgregory mentioned them. I'll be back on in a little bit.

Hide this!Advertise here!