• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE buzzing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built Tubelab SE mono as discussed here. It's been fine until recently. I hear buzz from the speaker. It remains even when IC cable is disconnected (only amp and speaker connected). I went through the "check out" process and all the voltages are normal. I connected the speaker cable to other speakers and the buzz followed. What could possibly be causing this?

Do you have a scope with high voltage probes?
No.

It's more of 120Hz buzz.

Is the buzz from one channel or both? If it is a single channel, try swapping the 5842's. I have seen oscillation cause a buzz in one channel.
It's a monoblock amp. I swapped 5842 with another TSE but it does not follow the tube. What puzzles me is, it buzzes one afternoon, then I use it again later that evening and it won't buzz. I'm wondering if it has to do with the power from the outlet. I use TrippLite surge protector.

Could any caps or resistor going bad cause such noise? It was working fine for 2 years.

It is posible that a capacitor could be developing a high ESR condition.

Watch your line voltage to see if the buzz is prevalent under low voltage conditions. Also are there any new additions in your house that tend to distort the line voltage? Flat panel TV's and computers without PFC are big offenders.

The filament regulator feeding your output tubes may be going into dropout during low line conditions. Dirty power makes things worse. Several years ago I measured the distortion on my line voltage at 4%. Now it varies from 8 to 14% with flat topping very obvious in the evenings. This makes the B+ voltage vary even more than the line voltage does.

If this is the case adding more capacitance may help.

Watch your line voltage to see if the buzz is prevalent under low voltage conditions. Also are there any new additions in your house that tend to distort the line voltage? Flat panel TV's and computers without PFC are big offenders.
I haven't added anything electronic for a year. AC from the power socket is at 123 to 125 VAC when this amp buzzes.

If this is the case adding more capacitance may help.
Higher C4 value for higher B+?

That sounds right, but I don't have a PCB in front of me. Measure both sides relative to ground and report the higher of the two.
R3 lead near R24 = 7.87VDC
R3 lead near C5 = 6.67VDC

One thing I haven't mentioned is, if it makes a difference, input tube (5842) plate voltage won't go above 169VDC when checked from coupling cap lead facing input tube to ground. I turned the trim pot (R20) all the way up but that's as high as it gets. I changed R3 to lower value but still same.

Last edited:
The culprit has been found. Embarrassing to say, it was me. :ashamed:

When I assembled the board 2 years ago, somehow wrong value resistor was installed at R25. It was supposed to be 20K Ohm but what got in was 200 Ohm. On Tubelab website, it is now updated as 30K or 35K Ohm depending on B+ voltage. I happened to have a spare 27K Ohm resistor so I swapped it out and the buzz is almost completely gone. Also, 5842 plate voltage now reaches 174 VDC after about 15 minutes.

I'm wondering, could this have damaged other parts after about 400 hours of use with undervalued resistor in R25 (or R14)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.