• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Power XFMR Choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm looking at using Edcor's XPWR144 power xfmr for a simple se. my concern is the 3.5A limit on the 6.3 winding, will this be ok or should i try something different? the reason i'm going for the 144 is the 380/320 CT winding will give me options to drop the B+ rail for other tubes.

The SSE Assembly Manual states: "The main filament winding should be 6.3 VAC at at least 5 amps."

So, the Edcor XPWR144 may run too hot (or worse) when used at 5 amps.
The folks at Edcor are very helpful. Give the Technical Dept. a call for the definitive answer.

I specify a 5 amp winding to cover all possibilities with some margin. A SSE with KT88's will draw exactly 3.5 amps if all of the tubes are exactly at spec. An EL34 version will draw 3.3 Amps. The filament current could easily be +/- 10% or so. This could put the current close to 4 amps. A 4 amp winding would work, but 3.5 is rather close. See what Edcor says.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.