Simple P-P Board & Parts Kits - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 3rd November 2010, 02:59 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well after looking the Simple PP for a long time I am ready to build. Wanted to check if the parts kits are ready yet, assuming parts actually shipped to George.
I have all the parts for the Simple P-P kit. The last batch of bagged up kits have been sold, but I just got an order so I will be bagging up more this weekend.

The Simple SE kit is a problem since 500 volt caps are impossible to get right now. I got some of the Illinois Capacitor parts, but I am hesitant to use them until I play with them for a while. They got a poor reputation due to failures in Fender guitar amps. The mounting scheme in a Fender guarantees a short life since they sit above the tubes, so it may not apply here. The IC's are only 85C rated.

It is totally possible, and some believe better to eliminate the electrolytics from the power supply and use only motor run caps. In fact one SSE builder made his entire amp without any electrolytics. 40 uF for the first cap is good, and I have used everything from 100 uF to 600 uF for the second cap. The 600uF was total overkill and hard on the rectifier tube, but I got some cheap on Ebay.

Quote:
Howard, other parts might include - IEC inlet, fuse, power switch, RCA sockets, speaker output posts, vol control.
The parts kit includes only the parts needed to populate the PC board. You will still need the chassis, the parts mounted to the chassis, tubes and transformers.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:31 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default PP kit

Thanks for the update. Can the tube sockets be mounted just to the top of the chassis or do they have to mount in the board? Thanks again. howard
Old 4th November 2010, 08:10 AM   #23
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

It would be best to keep the sockets in the PCB. Most builders use spacers to mount the whole PCB to the top panel.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:53 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default 600 uF second cap

"I have used everything from 100 uF to 600 uF for the second cap. The 600uF was total overkill and hard on the rectifier tube, but I got some cheap on Ebay."
George, I also picked up those 600 uF monsters, I was thinking they might boost the bass response of my SSE but was concerned how hard it would be on my rectifier tube. Did you prefer it in the circuit?
Old 6th November 2010, 10:16 AM   #25
parb is offline parb  United States
diyAudio Member

george, i am interested in the sse pcbs. do i order them off your site?
i clicked around but didnt find any purchase link...

par
Old 6th November 2010, 11:10 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ahhh, you must have missed the PCB ordering tab PCB_ordering Easy enough to do...

Last edited by Ian444; 6th November 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 16th November 2010, 03:36 PM   #27
wagtail is offline wagtail  Ireland
diyAudio Member

hi,
i am putting together the goods for my first amp build (greenhorn and then some) pcb and parts kit are ordered.
after a lot of digging i have a satisfactory quote from a uk supplier for the following:- Hammond 372JX, 2 x Hammond 1650 FA, EL84 sovtek matched quad, 5U4 GT, pair 12AT7 (ECC 81)
fit for purpose? please advise.
thanks
Simon
Old 17th November 2010, 12:55 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

pcb & parts kit arrived today 11/17/'10 ordered on 11/01, thank you George.
Simon
Old 18th November 2010, 10:37 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

The transformers look fine, not sure about the rectifier tube, 5AR4/GZ34 is specified? Power tranny is a bit more than what you need but that is always a good thing, will run cool too.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried the Sovtek EL84's yet.
"favorite" outputs for Simple P/P?
Old 18th November 2010, 11:39 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

This is supplier's reply that determined the choice of 5U4,

"With your power tranny you can have one 5U4 or you can run two 5R4.
With a 5v @ 4 amps heater winding this means you can have two 5R4 with a total handling of 500ma d.c.. The benefits speak for themselves.
Coz the 5U4 heater needs 5v/3amps you can only use one @ 300ma d.c.
you will need an extra Octal socket
If your rectifier tubes are PCB mounting you can probably only use one rectifier tube.
If it had to be a choice of one tube only , then the 5U4 has better specs on its own."

As this is a learning exercise for me i'm running hard to keep up but exercise is good for you is'n't ?

Hide this!Advertise here!