• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

el84 tube types

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not me, but I did try some TAD 6L6 once and never again.

The JJ EL84 cost less, and sound great, and handle high voltages. But if you read the advertising, one would think TAD are the best...hard to know...send a pair to Tubelab, I'm sure he wouldn't mind "testing" them :D

I find it useful to check out the guitar amp forums to see what their opinions are, most guitar amps push the tube voltage and power dissipation limits, so you can get an idea of robustness and a lesser idea of tone (for hifi). Vox AC30 is a popular amp using EL84, Ax84.com are into EL84, or any popular tube guitar amp forum.

BTW Moparman, how is the build going, powered up yet or still working on it? Looks great that amp of yours.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.