• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab se with blown FREDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I've been a happy user of tubelab se for a half a year now with a little or no problems. I have 300b tubes, a hammond 376x power transformer, transcendar opts, auricaps, the recommended choke and an extra cap on the psu. In addition to this I've added a heatsink with a small fan to the regulator due to a thermal shutdown I experienced when encasing the amplifier. After this I've had no problems with amplifier.

Last night the amplifier had probably it's longest run playing music all day and to the late of the night. Everything seemed ok and the amp was switched off. Next morning the amplifier did not start anymore. I checked and noticed that both fuses (on both lines) had blown. I changed the fuses, a brief buzz is heard from the power transformer and the fuses are blown again.

So I started digging. There were no visible burn marks or anything on the board. So I removed all tubes from the board, re-tried with no luck, fuses go again. Then I removed all power transformed secondaries from the board and metered the transformer output which seemed ok. After this I started looking for possible shorts on the board and finally noticed that the DSEI-12 FREDs were blown. The other passes everything though either way and the other almost the same.

I looked around the messaging board and found some discussions on people having problems with simple se blowing FREDs with certain power transformers (hammond was mentioned). It had something to do with some power spikes which fry the FREDs if you're unlucky.

I don't have any spares for these FREDs currently so a few questions about this problem

a) Is there anything to be done to avoid this issue in the future ? Is there something to be added to the circuit to prevent the power spikes frying the FREDs ?

b) Is there any alternative for these DSEI-12 FREDs which might cope better with the spikes ?

Getting these parts from Finland might be tricky so I'm ordering these probably from Mouser anyway. I'll probably pick up some spares for all the FETS and diodes on the board to be sure but I'd appreciate all feedback from you experts before I place my order.

Anyway I'm very happy with the amplifier and the sound and the amplifier seems more than enough for the fonken floorstanders it is driving. Big thanks to George by making this possible. Please see the attachment for the finalished (but no dead :( ) build.

Thanks in advance!
Marko

Attachments

• tubelab.jpg
    tubelab.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 286
"The on board power supply uses FRED diodes for the bias (negative) voltages. This allows fast startup of the bias supply. The plate (positive) voltages are tube rectified. A 5AR4 is recommended because of it's slow warm up characteristics.".

The amplifier is "tubelab se" not "simple se" so what you are suggesting is not an option ?

Sorry saw the rectifier tube but didn't catch the two driver tubes. You should also check/replace the FETs. I blew a bias diode when I had a FET fail on my Tubelab SE. Failure mode was similar to yours. It worked fine for a long play period, came back and the fuses blew. I have never had a problem since.

IIRC the diodes used on the bias of the Tubelab SE are fine as speced. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade them as suggested by rknize. The B+ SS diodes on the SSE posed the problem due to a manufacturing change.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.