Ideas on weak left channel with static? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 13th June 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ideas on weak left channel with static?

Got my completed TubelabSE checked out and into my audio room. Listened to some music and noticed my left channel outputting less than the right, and there is a little static creeping in there as well. Both channels have a slight buzz, owed to the Hammond 270HX transformer I suspect. I switched my output tubes and the static/weakness stayed with the left channel, so ruled out output tubes. I checked my voltage at the speaker posts while playing a 315Hz test tone, and got .28 volts on the problem left channel and about .48 on the right channel. Any ideas on what might cause this? Thanks,
Matt
Old 13th June 2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Banned

You are attacking this problem in the right way. Presuming that the right channel is operating correctly, work through from input to output checking DC conditions without any test tone, and looking for a point where the left channel diverges from the right...

If you have a 'scope you can look at your injected test tone, which will also help you localize the fault.

Exercise extreme care while fault-finding any tube amp, keeping one hand in your pocket is often recommended as a safety measure.

w
Old 13th June 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Try swapping the input tubes? Also measure the voltage at the plates and across the cathode resistors of the input tubes.
Old 13th June 2010, 07:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If that unit (I'm not familiar with it) has input switches, such as tape monitor, clean those. Very common cause of such problems.
Old 13th June 2010, 08:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks you guys!
Switched input tubes, and the problems followed the input tube, so switching them made my right channel affected. This is a bad input tube then! Thanks so much for the help. Now, to find a 5842 that isn't $60, that'll be the next chore.

Have a great rest of your Sunday,
Cheers,
Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!