Simple SE grounding problems.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 24th May 2010, 01:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simple SE grounding problems..

Hello-

I'm trying to eliminate the nasty buzzing that I get when hooking up my Simple SE to an NAD C340. (I'm using the pre-outs on the NAD as an input selector). The Simple SE is grounded quite well, as per the recommendations of the Tubelab manual.

The NAD does not have a three-prong grounded plug. On top of that, it appears to be isolated between the neutral AC wire and the chassis "ground" level.

I can greatly minimize the buzzing by running lots of ground connections between the Simple SE and the NAD chassis, but that just isn't practical.

Would it be a good idea (or bad) to install a new, three-prong AC power cord on the NAD, and grounding the chassis? Do all consumer electronics float the ground like this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 24th May 2010, 03:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I presume you get no hum with the NAD disconnected. Do you get the hum with it connected but not plugged in? Do you get hum when it's plugged in but switched off?

The answer to your question about a new power cord is, probably a good idea. Can you reverse the plug in the outlet, or is it polarized? Lots of unanswered questions here.
Old 24th May 2010, 04:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
I presume you get no hum with the NAD disconnected. Do you get the hum with it connected but not plugged in? Do you get hum when it's plugged in but switched off?
Bob, good questions...

It turns out that the hum only happens when my DVD player is connected to the NAD. The hum goes away when I disconnect the HDMI cable between the DVD player and the TV (everything else stays connected).

So, now that I have found the culprit source, I can start working there. My CD player works fine when it is directly connected to the SSE (I wired up the volume pot to test that, and it seems good).

I'm still thinking about adding a ground to the NAD chassis. All of my devices are either polarized plugs, or grounded, and connect back to the same wall outlet (which I have confirmed seems to be wired correctly).

Who needs HDMI anyway? ;-)

Thanks,

Dave
Old 24th May 2010, 05:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

So the DVD player is the culprit. Does the hum go away when it's switched off, or unplugged? It might have a ground fault or something.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you have cable TV tied into the system somewhere?
Old 24th May 2010, 02:57 PM   #6
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I've had trouble with TVs before. Indeed, a ground loop was created between the earth ground of my audio system (only showed up once I started using tube gear...with grounds) and the ground of my cable TV system. The same problem would likely occur with satellite TV, since a grounding rod is often employed to protect your electronics from nearby lightning strikes.

The simplest solution for me was to use a ground loop isolator (a 1:1 transformer) between the TV and my audio system. For HDMI...that is more tricky.
Old 24th May 2010, 02:59 PM   #7
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
In car audio (where the isolator came from), an often-employed trick is to connect the chassis of the two components with a separate wire to take the ground currents off of the shielding. I didn't try this with my setup.
Old 24th May 2010, 04:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
Do you have cable TV tied into the system somewhere?
No cable TV, but I do have a DirecTV DVR connected to the TV as well. This goes to an apartment-wide multi-switch, which is probably as close to a cable system as you can get, without paying Comcast.

I will try to hunt down some of the sources tonight...

Hide this!Advertise here!