• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Is this a the correct FRED for a Simple SE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, First post on the Tubelab Forum. I'm in the final stages of gathering parts for my Simple SE.

As per the link to the MOUSER parts list elsewhere on this forum, I have the Fairchild ISL9R8120P2 on backorder from Mouser. They indicate a restocking date in December 2010.

In the meantime, is this the correct FRED substitute? ISL9R8120P2. I got this part number from Digikey.

This amp build is very well documented by George and a big thanks to all who have generously contributed to this forum, the many posts have been very informative.

YES, that is the correct number. You don't need them at all if you are planning to use only a tube rectifier. The FREDs are only used if you want the solid state rectifier option. Many builders simply leave them out. They can also be added later if desired.

Your board order came in while I was out of town. I carefully packed some of each board for my trip so I could ship them from wherever I was, but we had to leave earlier than planned and the box got left home. Your board was mailed today. It should be there in 2 or 3 days.

Thanks for your quick reply,

I am going to go with the Tube Rectifier, switchable to FRED option. One of the things that attracted me to your design is the parts flexibility/customizing options; I also like reading about the torture tests you put the Simple SE through. In this day and age many things are designed to be flimsy and disposable, it's just not my style.

If you do decide to do a Simple Spud, I'd like to be part of that.

Sincerely, Stu Cohen

PS, Thanks for mentioning the board order. I have no problem waiting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.