Simple Spud - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 11th May 2010, 10:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to booangler
Default Simple Spud

Hi George,

What are the chance's of the Spud making an appearance this year? If your answer is anything close to a hardy laugh, can you point me in the direction of a good schematic? Or should I just go straight to Pete Millett's 6T10 design?

Cheers,
Alan
Old 12th May 2010, 02:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ooh, I want the Spud. But alas, I fear the push/pull is where it's at this year.

Go build one of Eli's "Dirt Cheap" single ended spuds. I've got some of the parts to make one myself, but need a little motivation to finish the project.
Old 12th May 2010, 03:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here is the deal. Like everything else, the costs of PC boards has gone up, way up. Many of the big board houses don't want to bother with a small quantity of "old tech" PC boards any more. The vendor for the Simple SE decided that it was no longer a "standard product" since it was too big. I would need to pay for special processing which brought the cost to over $20 per board in 100 QTY. I have found another US vendor that will make my boards, but I must order them in 100 QTY. So every time I want boards I have to spend over $1500.

Any new board requires a bunch of time to generate an assembly manual that can be followed by an inexperienced builder. My work and personal schedule does not support that now. I haven't even finished the Simple P-P stuff yet and I am currently 1200 miles from home.

There has been some interest in the little spud amp, but nowhere near enough to justify buying 100 boards and taking the time to generate the manual. In fact board sales in general are down to about 1 per week total now, so this one isn't going to fly if I try to do it the same way as the other 3.

I can offer a suggestion:

If someone knows of a PC board house (offshore maybe) that will process a small batch of say 10 boards for a reasonable fee, let me know and I might be able to get 10 made. I can publish a simple set of instructions (parts list and overlays with a FEW pictures) for use by somewhat experienced builders. If this works out I have several small boards to try.
Old 12th May 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Pete seems to do small runs. What's his secret?
Old 12th May 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
If someone knows of a PC board house (offshore maybe) that will process a small batch of say 10 boards for a reasonable fee, let me know and I might be able to get 10 made.
I have used Olimex with good results.

A service that has been recommended to me, but that I have not yet tried is Gold Phoenix.

Olimex is in Hungary so unless you go with EMS shipping ($$) you'll end up with a 5~6 week turnaround time due to shipping time. Their prices are decent but not fantastic.

Gold Phoenix was recommended to me by an apps engineer where I work. He'd used it for hobby stuff and was happy with it. Their pricing is very attractive. 1000 cm^2 (155 in^2) board area for $99 shipped to North America. Free step&repeat. Free V score (I think).

Hope this helps.

~Tom
Old 13th May 2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

I used this Chinese board house a few years ago for microcontroller PCB's (EFI) and some others, they did a very good job each time, PCB Price List- ourpcb
Old 17th May 2010, 05:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For SPUD I like Jef's design.

abraxasaudio Tube Amplifiers

Hawthorne audio sells a kit
Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Old 25th December 2010, 02:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default dts-10

hey all theres a dts-10 on ebay right now as of dec. 24 2010 for 1500.00

Hide this!Advertise here!