Howdy fellas, I've some simple SE questions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 28th March 2010, 09:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Howdy fellas, I've some simple SE questions...

Hey George and you SSE builders.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a couple of PCB's from George this morning. I got one for the Simple SE to start with, but also ordered one for the SE for later on.

This will be my second build so I'm obviously a newb.

Unless someone points me in a better direction I'm intending on using the Edcore iron that George mentions. CXSE25-8-5K and XPWR035.

It also looks like a good idea to use the choke & run cap (suggestions?)

I'm currently thinking of building this on a 10" x 17" x 4" Hammond case, I thought I'd put the transformers and the PCB on top of this while the run cap and choke could be inside the case. I was also thinking of using the 10" x 17" x 5.2" cage to keep kids and critters out of harms way. Plus I kind of like the old style look.

My first question is this, do you guys think everything will fit as I've described it?

Thanks much.

Rick
Old 29th March 2010, 01:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

For run caps you can find them all over ebay. Just type in motor run capacitor. Look for something in the range of 80-100uf. The choke I used in my amp was a cheap triad choke from allied electronics.
Triad Magnetics - C-14X - Inductors - Passive Components - Allied Electronics

The best way I have found to see if everything will fit is either plot it on graph paper or make full size cut outs of all the parts(board, transformers cap etc) and arrange them on the counter and see what will work for you. I also used the Edcor iron and I am very pleased with it.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:40 AM   #3
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
The 10" depth will make things a bit tight between the back of the PCB and the transformers, but it can be done. This is an annoying limitation of the Hammond chassis. They go no deeper than 10" unless you get a steel one. Then you won't be able to cover it because the deepest cover is still 10".

The 17" width may allow you to put them to either side if you wish. The Triad choke will fit under a 3" chassis, so that will not be a problem. The motor run cap is just a matter of finding an appropriate one. If you want it under the chassis, look for an oval one. Checkout "supplystuf" on eBay. They have a huge selection of motor run caps.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

nic6paul, thanks for the link for the choke.

Russ, yeah, it would be nice if Hammond made cages for the larger cases. I'll hold off on ordering the case items until I have the other parts in hand. Also thanks for the lead on the run cap.

Rick
Old 29th March 2010, 02:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have bought quite a few motor run caps from supplystuf.
Old 29th March 2010, 02:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you're able, try to find Aerovox motor runs. I think they sound better. There should be up to 50uF available, I paralleled 3 - 20uF for mine and they were a perfect, if tight, fit in my 4" deep Hammond case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0818_1.JPG (350.5 KB, 405 views)
Old 29th March 2010, 02:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Bill, are the Aerovox run caps very expensive?

Also what are the copper caps you're using on your board?

Thanks for the input.

Rick
Old 29th March 2010, 03:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

You can do something like this on a 9"x14" chassis. I'd imagine a similar layout would work fine given the larger Hammond.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...E/P1100340.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...E/P1100327.jpg
Old 29th March 2010, 10:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Bill, are the Aerovox run caps very expensive?

Also what are the copper caps you're using on your board?
Aerovox: Depends on who's offering when you search E-bay, as some sellers know they're in demand for audio, most don't. My last buy was for 6 pieces of assorted values from 20uF to 50uF for about $50 with shipping.

"copper caps": those are Obbligato from Diyhifisupply, $8 each for .22uF. I prefer them to Auricaps, Kimber, Jantzen Z-Superior and Jensen tin; more detail, better soundstage and never harsh or overly sweet. JMHO, of course.
Old 29th March 2010, 03:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bill, thanks. I thought I recognized those caps, Darrel at Hawthorn uses those on some of his better crossovers with good result.

Ty, thanks for the pictures, I don't know yet if the Edcor trannys I'm planning on are larger than yours or not. But I do notice that you've placed items on your top plate that I plan on putting on the ends, so maybe that will help.

I really like the idea of putting everything under a cage if I can because it facilitates an easier build and keeps curious fingers out of harms way. I don't think the wife would be very understanding if one of my projects electrocuted one of our kids.

Thanks again.

Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!