r-core transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 19th March 2010, 06:45 PM   #1
smithie is offline smithie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default r-core transformers

hi all
im seriously thinking of ordering a board and building a simple single ended amplifier proberly using a kt88 valve.
at present im using a e.a.r 859 type clone circuit which is using the el509 or 519 sweep output valve in a enhanced triode arangement,this amp is using r-core output txs that i cant find any info on other then there ment to be 20watt specs.
ive found this amp ok but the treble doesnt seem that extended and the overall sound seems very dense and thick if that makes sense,hence my intrest in trying out tubelabs sse amp.
im using hawthornes ssi drivers so i have fairly hi-sens speakers so that isnt screwing up the amp,im just wondering what peoples take are on r-cores being used as output txs as ive hardly seen them used on other peoples designs and wondering if these are really not up to the job and causing dissappointment in the sound,ive asked similar question before regarding the r-cores,the replys seem to mention they should be ok,im at a loss why my amp isnt singing to these ears,if they get a thumbs up then maybe i could use them on the tubelab build,trouble is i have no specs for said r-cores!
any views/thoughts would be great.
all the best
smithie
Old 24th March 2010, 10:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would be interested in an answer to this also as I am considering them in my new amp build. Not much info out there yet on these transformers but the attraction of the low noise is high.
Source: ASRock with XBMC, SkyHD, Teac VRDS 10 modified DAC, SB3 Proc/Amps: Proceed AVP2, Musical Fidelity AS100, Rotel RB985 Speakers: Monitor Audio GR20, GR LCR, B&W DS3, REL STIII sub Displays: Pana plasma, Sanyo Z1 proj Misc: Isotek Sub G2 & Elite cables
Old 25th March 2010, 01:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would love to have some information here, but I have never seen or heard an r-core transformer.
Old 25th March 2010, 01:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Crapola....heard of "R" cores but also haven't seen one nor head of how they're constructed. I say lets cut up some Iron in a letter shape & try to make it into a functional transformer. Who knows what someone could come up with!

______________________________________________Rick .................
Old 25th March 2010, 02:01 AM   #5
smithie is offline smithie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi
the only thing ive found on the r-cores is here
Softone RW-20 Single-Ended Audio Output Transformer.
mine never came from here,mine came with a previous project i brought,although obviously they look the same
all the best
smithie

Hide this!Advertise here!