• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

r-core transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all
im seriously thinking of ordering a board and building a simple single ended amplifier proberly using a kt88 valve.
at present im using a e.a.r 859 type clone circuit which is using the el509 or 519 sweep output valve in a enhanced triode arangement,this amp is using r-core output txs that i cant find any info on other then there ment to be 20watt specs.
ive found this amp ok but the treble doesnt seem that extended and the overall sound seems very dense and thick if that makes sense,hence my intrest in trying out tubelabs sse amp.
im using hawthornes ssi drivers so i have fairly hi-sens speakers so that isnt screwing up the amp,im just wondering what peoples take are on r-cores being used as output txs as ive hardly seen them used on other peoples designs and wondering if these are really not up to the job and causing dissappointment in the sound,ive asked similar question before regarding the r-cores,the replys seem to mention they should be ok,im at a loss why my amp isnt singing to these ears,if they get a thumbs up then maybe i could use them on the tubelab build,trouble is i have no specs for said r-cores!
any views/thoughts would be great.
all the best
smithie

Crapola....heard of "R" cores but also haven't seen one nor head of how they're constructed. I say lets cut up some Iron in a letter shape & try to make it into a functional transformer. Who knows what someone could come up with!

______________________________________________Rick.................

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.