LED power on light? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 6th March 2010, 09:16 PM   #1
newtube is offline newtube  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default LED power on light?

Hi guys, i built a simple se amp last year and i'm very happy with the whole thing. . .
However, i fitted a yellow led light into the front panel as a power on indicator but never got round to wiring it in, my question is how?

What do i wire the two leads to and is there a resistor needed etc?

Thanks.
Old 6th March 2010, 11:24 PM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
All depends what you want to wire it to. If it is a typical yellow LED, figure 2.2V @ 20mA or so. You can wire it to a 6.3VAC heater wiring using a 220 ohm resistor. It will flicker at 60Hz. If that bothers you, you'll need a low voltage DC supply of some kind.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you can't tap from a DC point in the circuit and don't want the flicker use a full-wave bridge and a cap...(don't forget the led series resistor as well)... or, you could use a resistor and a dual color led (say red and green) wired in anti-parallel. It'll glow "yellow" on AC...

If you want to run off the line voltage (120VAC) use a 0.47uF, 200V cap in one leg of the AC line. Put a 1K resistor in the other AC leg. Use a 1N4004 (or such) diode wired in anti-parallel with the led. Put one leg of the AC on one side of the diode pair and the other AC leg on the other side of the diode. Still going to "flash" at 60 Hz (though you'll only see the flash if you wave your fingers in front of it or shake your head around while staring at it)...

Hide this!Advertise here!