Wiring the transformer to the Tubelab SE - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 16th March 2010, 02:44 AM   #31
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
If the pot is going to be in the amp, then that is fine. You can omit R8 and R19 if the pot is going to be permanently in there.
Old 16th March 2010, 02:43 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Okay, I'll remove R8 and R19 tonight. It definitely didn't like the 100k with the other two resistors still in. There was very heavy reverb, and for some reason vocals were recessed into the background. Almost like somebody was singing from inside a cavern.

Without the pot it sounded normal, but I did notice a very slight reverb on certain recordings, but only on vocals. This may just be the recordings themselves, maybe my previous amp wasn't revealing enough for me to notice it. I'll have to listen to more records to be sure.

Last edited by blue lander; 16th March 2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 17th March 2010, 02:25 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

It seems like my amplifier is completely operational at this point, so thanks again for the help! I'm pretty convinced the reverb I'm hearing in some vocals is just how they were recorded. I played a few folk records and I didn't notice it. What's surprising me most about this amp is how many slight tempo and rhythm changes I'm noticing in recordings I've listened to a million times before. Very, very impressive.

Now I just have to build a proper enclosure for it. I might try to duplicate Tubelab's lexan amp so I won't have to remount any of the caps on the bottom of the PCB.
Old 17th March 2010, 04:09 PM   #34
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
The TSE was my first working SE amp, though the SSE followed shortly after. It's still on a breadboard, but I listen to it often. I rediscovered a *lot* of my old music with this amp...for months I was listening to all kinds of old pop, classic rock, any live recording I could find, etc. I also discovered how lousy some of my recordings are.

Hide this!Advertise here!