Wiring the transformer to the Tubelab SE - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 5th March 2010, 01:51 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I checked, it's 2.2ohms even after it cooked itself. With both 5842s in, neither tube lights up and R3 starts to smoke after less than a minute. With just one in, the tube lights up and R3 starts to stink like it's burning, but it doesn't seem to want to smoke itself.

The 5842s I bought are Russian, I wonder if they aren't really 5842's. They say CC45P E 0280
Old 5th March 2010, 01:57 AM   #12
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
3W is the spec'ed part.
Old 5th March 2010, 02:04 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yup, it's a 3 watt resistor
Old 5th March 2010, 02:06 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Sure that's not 6C45P? If so, the heater current requirements are higher. 440mA each, IIRC. Some eBay vendors peddle these as 5842/417A, but they are not quite the same. You would need 1.5 ohm, 3W or 5W here to get the same drop. If you bought spares when you got the parts, put two of the 2.2 ohm resistors in parallel to get nearly the same effect.
Old 5th March 2010, 02:11 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

On closer inspection, you're exactly right. It says 6c45P. I'll check my spare parts bag to see if I got an extra one.

Edit: Closest I have is a giant sandbox 1 ohm 10 watt resistor.

Last edited by blue lander; 5th March 2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 5th March 2010, 04:29 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

That 2.2 is probably on its last legs and is still under-rated even if you put a couple of 10 ohms in parallel with it. Maybe go see what Rat-Shack has, but they stock fewer parts every day.
Old 5th March 2010, 01:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

According to their web site, radio shack does carry a 1 ohm 10w wire wound resistor (I already have one) and a .47ohm 5w wire wound resistor. If I put them in serial, would that work as a temporary work around? Is inductance going to be an issue?

Or would it be better to buy six 1/2 watt resistors of the appropriate values to add up to 1.5 ohms and wire them up in parallel or serial?
Old 5th March 2010, 02:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Either way will work just fine!
Old 5th March 2010, 11:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I popped in the .47 ohm + 1 ohm sandbox resistors, and now it does power up and the 6c45p tubes do glow very dimly. The resistor does smell a little, but there's no visible burning anymore. Hopefully that did it...
Old 6th March 2010, 12:50 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On closer inspection, you're exactly right. It says 6c45P. I'll check my spare parts bag to see if I got an extra one.
I saw this post at work today, but couldn't look this stuff from work (big brother is watching comuter use). The 6C45P has a completly different pinout than the 5842, and will not work in the Tubelab SE board. The 5842 has the filament on pins 3 and 9. Pins 3 and 9 are both connected to the cathode in the 6C45P, so they are shorted together. This will make R3 very unhappy as you found out, and may damage other parts too, since none of the pins match a 5842.

I'm guessing that you got these "5842 equivalents" from the same Ebay seller that sells some "6AQ5 equivalents" that have 9 pins on them. A 6AQ5 only has 7 pins. Maybe the word "equivalent" lost something in translation.

The purpose of R3 was questioned in a previous post. In my board with the typical Hammond 7 volt filament windings I was getting over 7 volts on the 5842 heater. 2.2 ohms gets me to 6.3 volts even with silicon diodes. That value seems to work in most boards except maybe a 2A3 board. Most experts will agree that tube life is compromized by high filament voltage, and slightly low voltage is preferred over too much voltage. If your 5842 is running below 6 volts a lower resistor value may be worth trying.

Hide this!Advertise here!