• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE build costs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK im getting my list together for stuff i have no clue about:

EDCOR - XPWR059

That will work. Others have used it. I prefer for XPWR35 myself as it has more capacity for B+ (200mA).

Looks right.

This one has a rather low DCR, but it will work. You should add some series resistance to it, like a 50-100 ohm 5W resistor. The 193J is a better choice (more inductance and 82 ohm DCR). The Triad C-14X choke from Allied is half the price and has a perfect 150 ohm DCR but is ugly.

Triad Magnetics - C-14X - Allied Electronics

Either setup will work. Remember you can use any 370VAC motor run cap as well. They are good to at least 520VDC...more in reality.

B+ voltage = your actual B+ rail
Load Z = the primary impedance of the OPT
Vp = output tube plate voltage (B+ - OPT drop)
Vk = output tube cathode voltage
Rk = cathode resistor value (R17,R27)
Ik = cathode current
Diss (idle) = output tube plate dissipation at idle (no sound)
Pwr Out = maximum power output
Dist - 2nd = second harmonic distortion
Dist 3rd = 3rd harmonic
DF = dampening factor (how well the output can cope with varying speaker impedance), etc....

Beautiful, Russ!

Does anyone have a simple break down of costs of a simple SE?

I built mine in 2008. The cost came up something like this. All pricing includes shipping charges.

$132.59 Hammond 374BX and 159Q (tubesandmore.com)
$104.00 Transcendar 5K:8 OPT (ebay.com)
$43.00 circuit board (tubelab.com)
$57.22 parts (mouser.com)
$14.59 parts (digikey.com)
$11.95 sockets (tubedepot.com)
==========
$363.35 total

The chassis was basically free, built out of scrap lumber and aluminum plate. I didn't include the cost of tubes, but I've more or less "invested" a small fortune in more tubes than I should probably own. The transformer cost could have been cut in half by using Edcor and/or Allied parts, but I am very happy with the Hammonds and Transcendars and consider it money well spent.

That will work. Others have used it. I prefer for XPWR35 myself as it has more capacity for B+ (200mA).

Edcor has quite a few power transformers that appear to be suitable for the Simple SE. I figure you could make any of the following work:

XPWR002, 720VCT@220mA, $57.33
XPWR033, 760VCT@200mA, $59.48
XPWR035, 740VCT@200mA, $66.01 (only 2A@5V, don't use 5U4)
XPWR048, 700VCT@300mA, $90.33
XPWR059, 750VCT@175mA, $74.45 (120/240V primary)
XPWR134, 750VCT@200mA, $84.30

Edcor has quite a few power transformers that appear to be suitable for the Simple SE. I figure you could make any of the following work:

XPWR002, 720VCT@220mA, $57.33
XPWR033, 760VCT@200mA, $59.48
XPWR035, 740VCT@200mA, $66.01 (only 2A@5V, don't use 5U4)
XPWR048, 700VCT@300mA, $90.33
XPWR059, 750VCT@175mA, $74.45 (120/240V primary)
XPWR134, 750VCT@200mA, $84.30
The Edcor 134 looks interesting.

Eyuda Motor Run Cap...Bipolar??

I use the 80uF Eyuda for both my Simple SE and Tubelab SE. Seems to be a decent cap. I ought a few extra for someother projects as well.

As mentioned above, I picked up this cap for my SSE as the auxillary.
There are no polarity markings on this cap, so am I to assume it is bipolar and can be connected to the DC high voltage without regard to the terminals?

Thanks for the help!
"The Cat"

My main speakers are going to be 4-6 ohm. SO i should just stick with the edcor single taps and shoot for 4ohm load right?

So should i go for 1 hammond 1628SEA with multi taps for $150

Or 2 edcor GXSE15 for $40 each (1 40hm 1 8ohms) so $80

Or is there another good multi tap for 40hz or so thats sounds good and inexpensive?

I thought you had decided earlier that single tapped secondary was the way to go? Single tapped secondaries are generally regarded as "better" than multi-tapped versions. The Edcor GXSE represents an excellent value, and you won't find a better transformer for the money. Since the first of this year the GXSE line is now equipped with endbells and leadouts, which makes them even more attractive for chassis mounting. I've used the GXSE in my own amplifier, and I'd highly recommend them. But why are you suggesting you need a GXSE with a 4 ohm secondary, and another one with an 8 ohm secondary? You can't connect two different output transformers to the same channel at the same time.

Well the main system (all dayton audio reference drivers) is 4ohms. However the back computer Where i spend most of my time is 8ohm retail book shelfs with 6.5" drivers.

Would it be a problem to run the 8 ohm speakers off the 4ohm tap? Or am i gonna get the same distortion as if i were to run 4ohm speakers off an 8ohm tap. If im just going to get reduced output then im all for just running 4ohm transformers.

Or i could use the 4ohm transformers for an excuse to make some new 4ohmers for the back;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.