120k resistor question in SE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 26th January 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 120k resistor question in SE

Looking at the schematic to see if there are any critical values for the 1/4 and 2 watt 120 k's I see that there are other values for R8, R13, etc.

I only have 110k on hand which are within 10% but do any of these have really critical, say 1%, values?
Old 26th January 2010, 01:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

None of those values are particularly critical. The larger wattage resistors do dissipate some power and should not be substituted with a smaller wattage resistor. R8 and R19 are wired directly across the input. These should be a high quality resistor since cheap resistors may introduce noise. The value is not at all critical and anything from 100K to 330K should work.
Old 26th January 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, George, and 1 more on R6, the 10k 5 watt. I have a 5 watt Mills there that looks about the same size as a 2 watt Kiwame, and I've read it runs really hot. I had trouble with bigger Mills in my other 45 amp and wonder if, like I did there, a 20 watt aluminum housed is necessary?
Old 26th January 2010, 03:27 PM   #4
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Depending on your B+...5W is pushing it. I went with a 7W here and it is probably one of the hottest components on the PCB when I am running 300B voltages. I picked up a aluminum housed 10W to mount to the chassis when the time comes.

Hide this!Advertise here!