Tubelab SE vs Simple SE - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 2nd July 2011, 12:16 AM   #21
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi.

I have already decided !!!
Based on your comments about the power , sound quality and flexibility I build the SSE , besides apparently SSE and TSE are quite close , not seem to have a big difference , I will use JJ E34L and KT88-Z Shuguang Treasures , this seems the best option in KT88.
OPT's to give more details , the EDCOR GXSE or the CXSE ?

Thanks for all your comments.
Old 2nd July 2011, 02:35 AM   #22
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

The TSE is definitely a better amp; the 5842's are lower noise than a 12AT7, the bias is fixed and the power drive circuit works great. It's just that these refinements are not necessary for my application.

6V6's in triode are really linear, and a 6V6 SSE is a great amp within its power limitations.

Win W5JAG
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:23 AM   #23
Pez is offline Pez  United States
diyAudio Member

I use the CXSE25-8-5ks for both of my amps. It really depends on your personal preference and the way you are using them. They are easily the best OPTs in every area with the exception of bass. They can be a bit overblown. In my system I have the two amps running in an active setup. One amp for the tweeters one for the midrange and a QSC amp for the woofers. So bass is a none issue. However in a full range setup the bass may be a problem. Maybe go for the smaller CX OPTs which are reported to be more defined in the bass region if not quite as good in the mids and treble.
Old 24th August 2011, 10:42 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Swapping out the 12AT7 for 12BH7A in the SSE is a must IMO unless you really need that gain. Noise floor plummets.

I have used both the cheap XSE and GXSE and prefer the XSE. In my case I only need >200hz and the XSE has a nicer midrange and top end. The XSE is 4ohm, the GXSE 6ohm.

I would really like to buy/build a DHT amp but the SSE sounds so good it's really hard to get up the motivation.
Old 25th August 2011, 02:35 AM   #25
Pez is offline Pez  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the gain drop with BH7s? Are we talking about a lot like >10 dB? Or is it minor?
Old 29th October 2011, 02:16 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
What is the gain drop with BH7s? Are we talking about a lot like >10 dB? Or is it minor?
Whoops sorry for not responding sooner. It's a sizable drop. I keep forgetting to check the amount with a spl meter.

Hide this!Advertise here!