Tubelab SE vs Simple SE - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 11th January 2010, 08:45 AM   #11
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Just to address your original post again, there are key differences between the SSE and TSE, besides the TSE being DHT. It also uses fixed bias and MOSFETs driving the grids. It's a different animal than your run-of-the-mill DHT amp, though I don't know how to articulate how those differences might matter. It does behave very well when pushed into clipping.
Old 14th January 2010, 02:44 AM   #12
Pez is offline Pez  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting points, I have decided to stick with the simple SE for my second amp which will soon be in the works. I think for now trying to build a TSE and pray that it matches the SSE I have sonically is taking a big risk. Any way good info to know.
Old 30th June 2011, 08:05 AM   #13
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone.

I'm going to build one off the two, but I have not decided.
Which one has more power and better sound with equal OPT's ?
The SSE with EL34's in triode mode or the TSE with 300B's ?

Thanks.
Old 30th June 2011, 03:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well the 300Bs are supposed to be able to get 10 watts vs the rated 5 from the el34s. In my experience I can actually get 8 watts from KT88s in my SSEs. So the difference is pretty minscule either way. I do not regret my decision to build 2 SSEs. My system is sounding better than I have ever heard.

Last edited by Pez; 30th June 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 30th June 2011, 05:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Both of those setups you describe (SSE + EL34 triode and TSE + 300B) will give you about 8-10W. So really, the power output is about the same.

The SSE is cheaper and easier to build and uses cheaper tubes. It is also more flexible about what tubes you can use. I use this amp the most, but I have it setup for more power output.

The TSE is more expensive to build and more complex. The tubes alone can cost what an entire SSE costs to build. The design is more sophisticated and to my ears it is a more detailed amplifier. If you have excellent speakers and like to sit down and listen to music, this amp will slightly edge-out the SSE in my opinion.
Old 30th June 2011, 05:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Haha my SSEs were far from cheap. I'm using Black Treasure tubes at $300 a pair, Pavane 12at7s @ $100 a pair, and a set of NOS Mullard rectifiers for $200 each! and primo parts throughout. I probably could have built 4 basic TSEs for the price I paid for the 2 SSEs I built. So it is all relative and I am confident when I say I would put either of my SSEs up against any TSEs favorably.

Last edited by Pez; 30th June 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:24 PM   #17
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 1st July 2011, 02:25 PM   #18
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I have built TSE and SSE and prefer the SSE. A SSE with trioded 6V6's sounds as good as a TSE with 45's and better than a TSE with 2A3's to my ears.

I'm not an audiophile, and that might make a difference. It's also been awhile since I listened to the TSE - mine has been dismantled for overhaul since last fall.

Win W5JAG
Old 1st July 2011, 05:12 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

That is interesting indeed. I think the SSE has a few things working against it in the eyes of some builders. Namely that there is a perception that because it is simple it should be done on the cheap. Then surprise surprise, the TSE is the 'better sounding' of the two. Well of course that is the result! To expect Any other result would be silly.

I have a lot of personal experience with many SET amps as well as a plethora of SS amps, d amps and PP amps and my SSEs are the best sounding amps I have heard period. I certainly consider myself an audiophile, but that shouldn't sway you one way or the other. I just love great sounding music that's all.
Old 1st July 2011, 05:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Ok, ok...yes an SSE can be done on the cheap for sure. Can you sink a ton of coin into it? Of course! Mine in somewhere in between. I like it for it's flexibility and awesome bass when big tubes are used. I didn't build mine on the cheap.

My TSE is a bit more detailed, though. That is it's strong suit, IMO. I typically run mine with 45s because I have fairly sensitive speakers (98dB). Obviously it doesn't get rock-concert loud, but it offers amazing realism and detail. When I switch it to "300B mode", I think it actually gives some of that up but it makes more power. The gap between the two amps becomes closer.

Which one sounds better is, of course, a matter of personal opinion.

Hide this!Advertise here!