When will Simple P-P be ready? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 29th December 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Default When will Simple P-P be ready?

I am still anxious to get my hands on the new Simple P-P kit or board. Please let us know when we can expect it.
Old 29th December 2009, 09:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know this amp isn't even out yet, but for those that understand this stuff a lot better than I do, how hard would it be to mod this amp to accept 6922 (and associated tubes) in the driver slot?

I've got quite the collection of these tubes, including the Russian variants (6H23-EV, 6N1P-EV) as well as several 6922's, 6DJ8's, and some 6FQ7's. I know these are not all exactly the same, but many designs allow them to be used interchangeably. Would it be a nightmare to get the Simple P-P to play nice with these tubes?

Also, I've got several of the Russian variants for the EL84 (SV-83/6P15P-EV as well as the 6P14P-EV) and I'm hoping those will also run without issue.

This amp would be a lot cheaper if I could use what I already have.
Old 31st December 2009, 03:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just noticed that the Tubelab Website states:

NOTE, This board is NOT available yet. It should be available in Q2 2009.
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
how hard would it be to mod this amp to accept 6922
The 6922 and its siblings have a different heater wiring than the 12AT7. This would require hacking the PC board. The gain is lower and the resistor values would have to be changed. Therefore I wouldn't recommend trying this.

Quote:
Also, I've got several of the Russian variants for the EL84 (SV-83/6P15P-EV as well as the 6P14P-EV) and I'm hoping those will also run without issue.
I have used some 6P14P tubes I got from a Ukrainian seller on Ebay. They work as well as most of the tubes being sold as EL84's. This means that you can use them at the EL84 ratings without a problem and get about 15 WPC. I have been told that the "EV" version is tougher but I have not tried them. I have cranked the current production JJ's and several vintage 6BQ5's far in excess of the ratings to get as much as 30 WPC without glow.

Quote:
I am still anxious to get my hands on the new Simple P-P kit or board. Please let us know when we can expect it.
I have 100 PC boards and several sets of parts kits sitting here and I am already paying the credit card interest for the privledge. I am as anxious as you are to start selling them. The problem lies with the assembly manual. As I was nearing completion of the manual, Microsoft (and my web hosting company) discontinued support for the Front Page Extensions that my web site uses. This broke the web site and prevented me from posting any new information. Much discussion led me to believe that I had to completely rebuild my web site using a new program. I started down this path, but had to make an unscheduled trip to West Virginia two weeks ago. My laptop went with me to work on the web site. I just returned yesterday.

During this time I found a way to cheat and force Front Page to succesfully update the web site. It is a very slow process, but avoids rebuilding the entire web site. The broken links and missing link bars should already be fixed and I will be adding new pages as fast as I can copy them out of my newly built but unfinished web site. Each update requires completly reloading the entire web site to the hosting company just to change one page. This takes about two hours over a DSL connection!
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
The 6922 and its siblings have a different heater wiring than the 12AT7. This would require hacking the PC board. The gain is lower and the resistor values would have to be changed. Therefore I wouldn't recommend trying this.

I have used some 6P14P tubes I got from a Ukrainian seller on Ebay. They work as well as most of the tubes being sold as EL84's. This means that you can use them at the EL84 ratings without a problem and get about 15 WPC. I have been told that the "EV" version is tougher but I have not tried them. I have cranked the current production JJ's and several vintage 6BQ5's far in excess of the ratings to get as much as 30 WPC without glow.

Alright, so no 6922 I'll have to find another project for those.
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Alright, so no 6922 I'll have to find another project for those.
I may try that experiment at a later date since I have a bunch of them too, but I don't have time right now.
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have 100 PC boards and several sets of parts kits sitting here and I am already paying the credit card interest for the privledge. I am as anxious as you are to start selling them. The problem lies with the assembly manual. As I was nearing completion of the manual, Microsoft (and my web hosting company) discontinued support for the Front Page Extensions that my web site uses. This broke the web site and prevented me from posting any new information. Much discussion led me to believe that I had to completely rebuild my web site using a new program. I started down this path, but had to make an unscheduled trip to West Virginia two weeks ago. My laptop went with me to work on the web site. I just returned yesterday.

During this time I found a way to cheat and force Front Page to succesfully update the web site. It is a very slow process, but avoids rebuilding the entire web site. The broken links and missing link bars should already be fixed and I will be adding new pages as fast as I can copy them out of my newly built but unfinished web site. Each update requires completly reloading the entire web site to the hosting company just to change one page. This takes about two hours over a DSL connection!
Thank you for your time and perseverance in working through your Web site's issues. The Simple P-P is the amp I am waiting to build next. In the meantime, I am modifying my cheap Suppo Golden Voice EL84 amp from China. It sounds really good, but I believe the Simple P-P will be superior to the Suppo amp.

Perhaps, you might consider a pre-order program to hep you shoulder the financial responsibility of all those PCBs and kits you are assembling. I would be willing to send a PayPal payment as I know you're an honest guy.
Old 2nd January 2010, 05:43 PM   #8
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Quote:
Each update requires completly reloading the entire web site to the hosting company just to change one page. This takes about two hours over a DSL connection!
Just a suggestion, but you can use an FTP program like Filezilla to upload one or two files at a time. May not be practical for major updates, but changes to a file or two it will save you a lot of time. FileZilla also has some smarter upload techniques using modification times as a guide. It has been a useful tool for website updates in the past.
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:26 PM   #9
noodle is offline noodle  United States
diyAudio Member

Another suggestion: "Contribute". Have found this easy and effective. Looks like they have a try it version.

web publishing software, creative web development | Adobe Contribute CS4
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:32 PM   #10
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Congrats on your progress George.

I'm glad to hear y'all are back home safely and that Sherri's mom is doing well.

Best wishes for a new year.

Steven

Hide this!Advertise here!