• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pictures of your Tubelab amp

So I'm working out the final details of my chassis for my Tubelab Simple SE and I figured there are enough Tubelab owners on this board that it might be nice to have some pics of everyone's finished products all in one place. I draw a lot of inspiration from you guys!

So, please post some pics of your Tubelab projects. Finished amps, internal shots, construction pics, etc would all be nice to see.

Here's my Simple SE build. The chassis started life as a Sony TC-K6 tape deck from the late 1970's that I picked up at Goodwill for $5. A piece of purple heart hides the old front panel. Some perforated aluminium from the local hardware store forms the recessed area for the tubes. The existing holes in the back of the chassis were re-used. The only problem I have is that the motor run cap I had was too big too fit inside. So I'm on the look out for an oval one that will fit. The whole chassis went together in a day and was cheaper than any of the commercially available ones.
My original idea was a more traditional design with the transformers mounted on top of the chassis and a cut out in the center for the tubes. I wanted to cast this out of concrete similar to concrete counter tops but use white cement and cobalt blue glass. Once it was polished I think it would look pretty cool. I still may try this when I get some time and a place to work on it (maybe for a Simple P-P:D).
There are lots of good ideas in the fourms. Good luck with your build.

Attachments

• SSE1.jpg
    SSE1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7,856
  • SSE2.jpg
    SSE2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 7,501
  • SSE5.jpg
    SSE5.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 7,547
Pictures of my Simple SE

My Simple SE build was base on a 12"x10" Hammond steel plate and wrap around with scraps red oak. The idea of the original layout was inspired by fellow member Russ that he posted the pictures during his Simple SE build. There are so many Simple SE build and good ideas in the forums. Good luck and enjoy your Simple SE build.

Attachments

• DSC_2998-12-A.jpg
    DSC_2998-12-A.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 7,595
  • DSC_3000-14-A.jpg
    DSC_3000-14-A.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 7,207
2mm alu top plate (first two hands of wash primer and then 3 hands motip dark green spray) on beech wood, Transcendars opt (5k/40% ultralinear/ 4 & 8 ohms) , hammond 374bx, hammond 193j , alps blue velvet ...

right now with Ei KT90 (pre bombs ones) .... and they are just perfect !!!!!!

good luck and have fun ...

Attachments

• DSCN25161.JPG
    DSCN25161.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 2,769
  • DSCN25131.JPG
    DSCN25131.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 3,229
  • DSCN24631.JPG
    DSCN24631.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,995
  • DSCN24641.JPG
    DSCN24641.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1,801
I'm enjoying seeing everyone's pictures and hearing your ideas. I think I've finally got all my parts and pieces in one place and with any luck I should have something to post this weekend.

I must say, I'm really impressed with the creativity in the DIY world; I mean, come on... who ever heard of making an amp out of concrete!

jimazz, just curious, it doesn't look like you have any bracing underneath; does 2 mm aluminum support all that iron without sagging/bending?

2mm alu top plate (first two hands of wash primer and then 3 hands motip dark green spray) on beech wood, Transcendars opt (5k/40% ultralinear/ 4 & 8 ohms) , hammond 374bx, hammond 193j , alps blue velvet ...

right now with Ei KT90 (pre bombs ones) .... and they are just perfect !!!!!!

good luck and have fun ...

jimazz, just curious, it doesn't look like you have any bracing underneath; does 2 mm aluminum support all that iron without sagging/bending?

yeap, it does ....

tho I had many ideas to support the top plate finally I didnt have to ...

those opt helped out as they are much lighter than the hammonds 1628 or the big edcors that I had in mind ... (and sure will use them the next time)

Here's my Simple SE, with just a few of the variety of tubes I've tried in it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

nice work !!!!!!

Thanks! Don't want to have to build one of those again...

Also, feel free to post pictures of any Tubelab project, not just the Simple SE. Creative chassis ideas aren't limited to one circuit design :)

Well, the TSE still needs a chassis. I put it back on a breadboard to try some layout ideas:

tubelab-se-testing-vt225.jpg

More:

Tubelab SE – metaruss

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Simple SE and 300b SE start

Here is my version. KT88 power tubes EDCOR 15w5k8 driving 4 ohm speakers. Will probably upgrade OPT but sounds good enough that I am not in a hurry.
I also attached the chasis for my Tubelab SE. Was experimenting with inlays. Will make top plate tommorrow. That will have 25W3.75k6ohm edcor custom OPT and 300b power tubes.

Attachments

• DSC02154.JPG
    DSC02154.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 3,571
  • SimpleSE FullFront.JPG
    SimpleSE FullFront.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 3,596
  • DSC02168.JPG
    DSC02168.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 3,498
  • DSC02167.JPG
    DSC02167.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,288
What is the cost ( roughly ) to build one of these Beast's ( stereo build ).

J'

There's a pretty huge range depending on parts used. This was my first DIY project so I had to buy EVERYTHING; soldering iron, multimeters, wire cutters/strippers, EVERYTHING. When all was said and done for me I think I'm looking at nearly 800 USD. Now, that includes a lot of different tubes as well as some fancy wood for the chassis.

If I only had to buy parts I think I probably would have spent around 500. I ended up spending about 300 just on the iron (transformers and choke). I think 500 is probably somewhat close to the top end of what most people spend on parts; I've read of people doing it for much less and if you've already got some spare parts around... 35 bucks for the board?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can easily build on for less than 500$. I can't!!!!. Even if I need one piece I usually will order 5, hey that OPT is 18$, but look I can get that one for 30$ and it goes to 40hz. You get my drift.

For less than $500 you will have an OUTSTANDING amp with the added benefit that you can say you built yourself. The only thing is to make sure your speakers are sensitive enough. I was happy initially with 87db but alot of people wouldn't, particularly if you like to bang your head. I am running 90db today and it is certainly loud enough

EDIT++ I am running kt88 at 450V for about 7Watts

Last edited:
You can easily build on for less than 500$. I can't!!!!. Even if I need one piece I usually will order 5, hey that OPT is 18$, but look I can get that one for 30$ and it goes to 40hz. You get my drift.

For less than $500 you will have an OUTSTANDING amp with the added benefit that you can say you built yourself. The only thing is to make sure your speakers are sensitive enough. I was happy initially with 87db but alot of people wouldn't, particularly if you like to bang your head. I am running 90db today and it is certainly loud enough

Thanks guys, i wouldn't know where to start, i guess ask Planet10 for some stuff maybe buy some stuff from him, buy parts here and there on ebay. Id like to build a low budget one then when i can afford it buy the better stuff, I have 93db efficient speakers ribbon tweeter and a 6.5" i run 4 amplifiers now, 2 aleph minis per speaker, so i would have to build 4 of these amps, :)

And that's how mine ended up costing $800! :) I was a little different though. "This amp calls for two of these caps, I better get 4 just in case I do something wrong and blow two of them up. Oh, and it can handle 6L6, EL34, and KT88... I better get some of each, just in case..."

I started out thinking I could get a great amp for cheap; well I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a great amp that "punches above its weight class" but it won't be dirt cheap. Part of that is the slippery slope mentioned above, part is the fact that I really had to buy everything as I've never DIYed anything before.

Now, back to pictures! :)

EDIT++ I am running kt88 at 450V for about 7Watts

Last edited: