Old 31st December 2009, 10:36 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 31st December 2009, 11:05 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I've actually been lusting after your amp for quite some time and I was hoping you'd post some more pictures. I love the wood. I thought I remembered you posting what type of wood it was in another thread but I've forgotten. How did you finish yours?

My chassis is in clamps now but has Makore rails and figured maple posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davec113 View Post

Old 1st January 2010, 01:34 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Davec113
Absolutely Fantastic! I too am interested in what kind of wood.
Old 1st January 2010, 05:19 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

The chassis is Maple with some splating and burl, and I used figured Walnut for the corners. Ebay has a great selection of craft wood, I got mine from antlersexpress. I recently picked up some amazingly nice walnut from him to make a rack out of. I also managed to get enough Maple and closeout Harbor Freight plumb bobs to make speaker stands too.

Old 4th January 2010, 01:07 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Tubelab SE 300b

Here is a recently completed Tubelab SE. Chinese Mesh Plate 300b. The plates really are not glowing red, my camera plus software enhances just makes it look that way. They do have a pretty blue on the glass from electron emmision. Compared to my kt88SSE, this amp is much more detailed and has better sound stage. Bass is also much tighter and deeper. Bit of apples to orange comparison though since the outputs are the bigger edcor csxe's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubelabSE.JPG (179.1 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg tubelabSETopView.JPG (126.2 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg SEGlow Enhanced.JPG (208.5 KB, 547 views)
Old 4th January 2010, 01:44 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I guess I need to add a few pictures of mine, even though they aren't finished yet.

The first one is a working 6CW5 amp. The 6CW5 version uses a solid state rectifier. The volume control, power switch, speaker and input jacks, and IEC connector aren't mounted yet. In fact the amp is still connected up with clip leads, but I haven't been here. I might get it finished next weekend if it doesn't rain.

The second picture is a different board wired up as a PPP mono block. It is running on an external power supply in this picture so I could determine just how much power I could get out of it before it exploded, and what voltage would be needed to do so. Then I could back up a little. The picture was taken at the point where I decided that I was rather fond of this amp in working condition, so I stopped at 420 volts! I was using 4 well used 1962 vintage 6BQ5's and I was getting 60 watts out of them. The mono block conversion was accomplished in this case by removing one 12AT7 and attaching a few clip leads. I am already planning to repeat the experiment and completly document the modifications. A complete amplifier is planned.

The third picture is the same as the second but the room lights are turned on.

More pictures after these guys (and their siblings) are finished. There really will be pictures of amps with the rectifier tube in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Progress_1.jpg (425.0 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg 60Watts_mono_1_A-2.jpg (678.6 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg 60Watts_mono_2_A.jpg (669.5 KB, 534 views)
Old 4th January 2010, 12:15 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
The second picture is a different board wired up as a PPP mono block. It is running on an external power supply in this picture so I could determine just how much power I could get out of it before it exploded, and what voltage would be needed to do so. Then I could back up a little. The picture was taken at the point where I decided that I was rather fond of this amp in working condition, so I stopped at 420 volts! I was using 4 well used 1962 vintage 6BQ5's and I was getting 60 watts out of them. The mono block conversion was accomplished in this case by removing one 12AT7 and attaching a few clip leads. I am already planning to repeat the experiment and completly document the modifications. A complete amplifier is planned.
Oh boy, now I'm probably going to have to buy two! What kind of power would you expect at some more sane voltage?
Old 4th January 2010, 11:10 PM   #38
urmoo is offline urmoo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Simple SE, KT66, Edcor transformers. Front panel and volume knob has been fixed and replaced since photo was taken.

Specially for this amp I built a set of horn type of speakers (Visaton BG20 elements were used)

Result? My good ol Sony have got no speaker-time since my Elise (as Beethoven's "Für Elise") got ready.
Old 5th January 2010, 02:37 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What kind of power would you expect at some more sane voltage?
I will know more after I get back to this. Some "EL84's" seem to self destruct at much over 15 watts per pair which would give 30 WPC in dual mono blocks, but these and the current production JJ's seem happy at 25 to 30 watts per pair. I will shoot for the most power available without over stressing good tubes (JJ or the old Sylvanias). I will aim for 40 to 50 WPC, but a lot depends on finding a suitable power transformer.

See post 15 in this thread:

When will Simple P-P be ready?
Old 5th January 2010, 08:43 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
Here is a recently completed Tubelab SE. Chinese Mesh Plate 300b. The plates really are not glowing red, my camera plus software enhances just makes it look that way. They do have a pretty blue on the glass from electron emmision. Compared to my kt88SSE, this amp is much more detailed and has better sound stage. Bass is also much tighter and deeper. Bit of apples to orange comparison though since the outputs are the bigger edcor csxe's.
Wow, now thats some nice woodworking (as opposed to my amp, which just has some nice wood)

Is that a preamp in the background of the 1st pic?

Hide this!Advertise here!