Pictures of your Tubelab amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 29th December 2009, 05:03 PM   #11
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
Here's my Simple SE, with just a few of the variety of tubes I've tried in it.
and the winner is ????

which power tube do you prefer the most Ty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
Simple SE build.

Click the image to open in full size.

More here:

Tubelab Simple SE – metaruss
nice work !!!!!!
Old 29th December 2009, 09:12 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Also, feel free to post pictures of any Tubelab project, not just the Simple SE. Creative chassis ideas aren't limited to one circuit design
Old 29th December 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Quote:
nice work !!!!!!
Thanks! Don't want to have to build one of those again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjppop View Post
Also, feel free to post pictures of any Tubelab project, not just the Simple SE. Creative chassis ideas aren't limited to one circuit design
Well, the TSE still needs a chassis. I put it back on a breadboard to try some layout ideas:

Click the image to open in full size.

More:

Tubelab SE – metaruss
Old 29th December 2009, 10:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Simple SE and 300b SE start

Here is my version. KT88 power tubes EDCOR 15w5k8 driving 4 ohm speakers. Will probably upgrade OPT but sounds good enough that I am not in a hurry.
I also attached the chasis for my Tubelab SE. Was experimenting with inlays. Will make top plate tommorrow. That will have 25W3.75k6ohm edcor custom OPT and 300b power tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02154.JPG (144.3 KB, 2077 views)
File Type: jpg SimpleSE FullFront.JPG (144.7 KB, 2071 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02168.JPG (141.0 KB, 2042 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02167.JPG (134.8 KB, 608 views)
Old 29th December 2009, 11:04 PM   #15
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
What is the cost ( roughly ) to build one of these Beast's ( stereo build ).

J'
Old 29th December 2009, 11:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
What is the cost ( roughly ) to build one of these Beast's ( stereo build ).

J'
There's a pretty huge range depending on parts used. This was my first DIY project so I had to buy EVERYTHING; soldering iron, multimeters, wire cutters/strippers, EVERYTHING. When all was said and done for me I think I'm looking at nearly 800 USD. Now, that includes a lot of different tubes as well as some fancy wood for the chassis.

If I only had to buy parts I think I probably would have spent around 500. I ended up spending about 300 just on the iron (transformers and choke). I think 500 is probably somewhat close to the top end of what most people spend on parts; I've read of people doing it for much less and if you've already got some spare parts around... 35 bucks for the board?
Old 29th December 2009, 11:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

You can easily build on for less than 500$. I can't!!!!. Even if I need one piece I usually will order 5, hey that OPT is 18$, but look I can get that one for 30$ and it goes to 40hz. You get my drift.

For less than $500 you will have an OUTSTANDING amp with the added benefit that you can say you built yourself. The only thing is to make sure your speakers are sensitive enough. I was happy initially with 87db but alot of people wouldn't, particularly if you like to bang your head. I am running 90db today and it is certainly loud enough

EDIT++ I am running kt88 at 450V for about 7Watts

Last edited by SGregory; 29th December 2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added clarification
Old 29th December 2009, 11:35 PM   #18
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
You can easily build on for less than 500$. I can't!!!!. Even if I need one piece I usually will order 5, hey that OPT is 18$, but look I can get that one for 30$ and it goes to 40hz. You get my drift.

For less than $500 you will have an OUTSTANDING amp with the added benefit that you can say you built yourself. The only thing is to make sure your speakers are sensitive enough. I was happy initially with 87db but alot of people wouldn't, particularly if you like to bang your head. I am running 90db today and it is certainly loud enough
Thanks guys, i wouldn't know where to start, i guess ask Planet10 for some stuff maybe buy some stuff from him, buy parts here and there on ebay. Id like to build a low budget one then when i can afford it buy the better stuff, I have 93db efficient speakers ribbon tweeter and a 6.5" i run 4 amplifiers now, 2 aleph minis per speaker, so i would have to build 4 of these amps,
Old 29th December 2009, 11:52 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

And that's how mine ended up costing $800! I was a little different though. "This amp calls for two of these caps, I better get 4 just in case I do something wrong and blow two of them up. Oh, and it can handle 6L6, EL34, and KT88... I better get some of each, just in case..."

I started out thinking I could get a great amp for cheap; well I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a great amp that "punches above its weight class" but it won't be dirt cheap. Part of that is the slippery slope mentioned above, part is the fact that I really had to buy everything as I've never DIYed anything before.

Now, back to pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post

EDIT++ I am running kt88 at 450V for about 7Watts

Last edited by bigjppop; 29th December 2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The amp is stereo. Should only have to build two if I understand your post. You can economize easily in this set-up. Use a cheap OPT for the tweeter and a mid size for the bass. What it the F3b on your bass?

Hide this!Advertise here!