• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Need Some SimpleSE Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I would guess the same. The sovtek 5ar4 is done for. I guess no tubes for me over the holidays.... Wish my father was closer he said he has about 10 or more of them that he has for spares since he has alot of old radios, as he is a big Ham. He loves them big old Collins. But it seems what every tube I put in after the 5ar4 makes it arc starting with the 12at7 of course.

Thought I would share a couple pics of my new purchase today as the SSE is not going to fire the music presently. Picked this up from the original owner for a couple hundred bucks not a bad score. Now if that little SSE would get it together!!! Or maybe its the ***..embler?? Hmm... Does anyone ever notice how your Kitty loves electronics!

Happy Hollidays To ALL!!!!!

DSC_1072.jpg

DSC_1071.jpg

How long does Kitty stick around when Highway Star or Crazy on You gets cranked up. I used to have a rather loud Phase Linear / Carver set up (hey I was young). When I found one of the cats sleeping on one of the speakers I would turn the volume up about half way and then hit the ON switch. It took about 3 times to cure the female cat, but the male was a slow learner. It took him about 2 years to figure out that birds on the other side of the glass door were not catchable but could deliver a mean headache!

Does your user name refer to something with a straight axle and an injected Hemi?

Yeah the darn cat loves a turntable. He watches that damb thing spin through many LP's. I have to watch him at times as he likes to swat and he knows thats a NO NO. They name refers to a 55 chevy with a strait axle and a 454 I am building along with my dad since he had one back in the day,(Two lane Blacktop) But yes very close.

Are you a Ham Radio person??? I thought that I read that you are in one of your posts.
I never got into it but my father is. His call is KF0HR

Are you a Ham Radio person???.....I never got into it but my father is. His call is KF0HR

Yes. I have been going to hamfests since I was about 14 years old, good places to buy or sell old electronics. About 30 years ago I was selling stuff at a local hamfest, so we were there for the weekend, but the rain had dispensed with all of the customers. The announcer came on the PA saying that ham radio license tests were being given in about an hour. A friend and I read the ARRL book and took the test. We both passed. I kept the license current and upgraded to Extra class last year. Like the 440 Challenger it is another hobby that I don't have time for. I have a simple wire antenna and a borrowed radio but it (and the Challenger) haven't been turned on in months. I started designing and building my own transceiver last year, but there has been very little progress. My call is KB4LRE. Totally random call sign selection but I hung out at the Lafayette Radio Electronics store as a kid, so I never changed it. I still go to as many hamfests as I can, but they and ham radio seem to be dying off. Two of the biggest are Dayton and Orlando, I made it to both this year. Good tubes cheap!

Yeah the darn cat loves a turntable. He watches that damb thing spin through many LP's. I have to watch him at times as he likes to swat and he knows thats a NO NO.

One of my cats was mesmerized by the turntable. Ever see the Dave Mason record made of multi colored vinyl? Fat Cat loved it! I kept a squirt gun loaded with cat repellent (water) when I was listening. The cats both decided that the spinning thing wasn't worth getting wet over.

Warning, the cats are curious about warm tubes and want to curl up next to them. I had an old Pilot amp (like a Dynaco ST-70) before I went to the dark side (solid state). The cats would sit on top of it until it got too hot (or too loud), but they returned as soon as it got quiet. I had to vacuum the amp out every other week. You need to put some kind of barrier between the paws and the PC board before putting the amp into service. You don't want Kitty to become a crispy critter.

Well did a little more playing around and added a switch for UL since I found a switch in my parts. So after that I thought I would give it another try. Fired it up with the 5ar4 all good put in the 12at7 all good again no arcing?? Hmmm... Well shut it off got the
kt88's out of their boxes put them in and fired it up again, But with the ouput tubes in as soon as the 5ar4 is starting to conduct it starts to arc. I tried another set of outputs same and also just tried one output tube at a time but all with the same results.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Well finally got a 5ar4 from the local guitar shop. Put it in and fired her up. All is good, just a few minor things I have questions on.

I am running it with a tube pre amp that I built that uses a 6dj8 and 6sn7, is there resistors near the inputs of the Simple SE that I change so I can use more of my Alps volume knob? As I can turn it ONE click and is plenty loud and would like to get a little more out of the preamp.

Also when I first turn it on I get some WOO....WOOH out of the speakers when the tubes are worming up. And no thats not music is kinda like a wistle sound... But is dead quiet other wise...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.