Tubelab Simple P-P - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 7th August 2009, 04:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to booangler
Question Tubelab Simple P-P

George,

Can you provide an update on the status of the Tubelab Simple P-P PCB?

Regards,

Alan
Old 7th August 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The following was posted last week by George in another thread regarding the Simple P-P. He's really swamped right now testing some IC's (or something like that) at his job.

Quote:
The boards are scheduled to ship in about 2 weeks. Advanced has been known to ship early. I have a skeleton of the manual written but the time frame for completion is really up in the air.

The boards should arrive at about the same time we get our next pass IC chips back at work. The last chip led to 60+ hour work weeks for almost two months. If the boards arrive one weekend before the chips it could make a months difference in the time to get everything done.

I usually want to build at least one amp, and get a beginner to build one with the instruction manual before I start selling them. It really cuts down on the questions.

I already have two Simple P-P prototype boards up and running. I have not tried my usual mono block experiments with them yet. There are usually 3 ways to make a mono block out of a stereo amp. The eaisest way is simply to leave out one channel. I have done this with the Tubelab SE and the Simple SE, and I am sure that it would work on the Simple P-P. Another option is to parallel both channels for twice the power output. Some circuit changes could be used like wiring all 4 tubes up to one OPT. Another option is to use the amp as a two channel amp for bi-amping a single speaker.
Old 7th August 2009, 04:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update. What is the thread name where you found that info?

Alan
Old 7th August 2009, 05:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here it is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...33#post1892633
Old 7th August 2009, 06:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Now that someone has started this thread I will post all updates here.

The chips arrived very early at work (10 days ago) which led to a panic to test all 900 of them. I have completed that. Now I am involved in the verification effort which requires a lot of time, but not like this week. If the boards showed up last Monday, they would still be unpacked.

The boards are ordered. They should be shipped next Friday (8-14) and in my hands early the next week. It is possible that they ship early.

I must then shoot all of the pictures for the manual which usually involves building two boards and one complete amp. The construction manual needs to be completed using the skeleton that I have already made from the Simple SE manual. The time for this is highly dependent on my work schedule. I then have at least one amp built by a third party "beta tester" to verify the manual. All or the parts for these three boards are on order and should be here before the boards.

Sherri has gone back up north to assist her mother, so I don't have the use of her organizational skills, but I have more free time.

I am guessing that the Simple P-P goes live in about 3 or 4 weeks, but that is a guess since much of my time is beyond my control.
Old 7th August 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you need a true novice to do a build to test the manual I would be happy to volunteer.

I am very motivated to give this a try.

-Steve
Old 7th August 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I don't think I've seen a photo since this thread:
Simple P-P 84 proto

Has the layout changed since the prototype?
Old 7th August 2009, 07:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

George,

I'd beta test for you. I am drooling to get my hands on a board and get started. I'd be curious to know if you stuck with the LED's or not?

Alan
Old 7th August 2009, 07:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Has the layout changed since the prototype?
The general layout of all of the components is similar to that amp, but the board layout has changed. I moved several parts around to make assembly easier. I rerouted most of the traces to make the amp a little quieter.

I have a new prototype that exactly matches the board that was sent out for duplication. I will post a photo when I have some time at home. That's likely Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

Quote:
If you need a true novice to do a build to test the manual I would be happy to volunteer.
I usually get Sherri to build one, but she is not here. I have already identified a local builder for Beta 1.
Old 9th August 2009, 03:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Picture of proto board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newboard_a.jpg (97.3 KB, 5225 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!