Tubelab Simple P-P - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th May 2013, 03:18 PM   #581
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
What happens when you short the input on that channel?
Old 9th May 2013, 03:24 PM   #582
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerontt View Post
Have a constant hum in one channael. Swapped the tubes around and it's still in the same channel. Any ideas?
Ok so after some fidling I have a few conclusions. The left channel or channel closest to the PT hums more with the volume down low. I've swapped the tubes around and its definitely not the tubes. I've narrowed it down to the PT being too close to board or perhaps its the filament wire that partially runs over the output section? I'll keep tinkering.

Despite the hum the sound is very nostalgic and dare I say lovely. In low light and with a drink in hand I can't stop tapping my feet. The Highs don't shimmer, however they blend lovely with what ever genre of music I play.When I iron out some of the kinks i will post the pics and proper review.
Old 11th May 2013, 07:22 AM   #583
diyAudio Member

Default Shorting the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
What happens when you short the input on that channel?
Russell,
When I do that the hum free channel attenuates a little and distorts. Have you encountered that before? So at the min only one channel plays the other just hums.
Old 1st June 2013, 08:19 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

Default descent progress

Russel thank you so much for your help with the wiring. I've been so busy with work that I haven't even checked my Facebook in ages. That aside I managed to put aside sometime to fix a few niggles with the amp it's not perfect but the sound is...dare I say charming.

I need to replace the volume pot as I'm getting some nice with the vol low down and One channel also plays abit lower than the next. One of my rft 12at7 valves fell on the ground so I need to get another matched pair.

Apart from what I mentioned the sound is very transparent, vivid and realistic. Guitar solos and sax singles sound just superb. The Diana Krall "Love Scenes" album is almost magical on it. However on bassier tracks the amp does fall short but that can be down to my OPTS which are Hammond. I wished I spent more on the Edcors like I was advised or the triode dynaco clones.

Overall it's a great midrange sounding amp. It was fun to build and I'm going to enjoy tweaking it.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000407.jpg (543.3 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000367.jpg (670.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000373.jpg (720.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000368.jpg (658.6 KB, 311 views)
Old 2nd June 2013, 02:10 AM   #585
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Glad you got it all working!
Old 4th June 2013, 07:59 AM   #586
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerontt View Post
However on bassier tracks the amp does fall short but that can be down to my OPTS which are Hammond.
Kerontt, I found the rft 12AT7's to be stronger in midrange and treble, and weaker in bass, compared to my other branded 12AT7's. If your system needs stronger bass I suggest trying any other different brand. Using matched tubes isn't really necessary IMO, the cathodyne phase splitter does not make gain. If you really wanted matched preamp tubes, its the 2nd triode of each 12AT7 tube (pins 6, 7 and 8) that need to be matched to each other. It will only affect the balance between the left and right speaker, you could always buy 3 un-matched and swap them around if the L-R balance was noticeably out.

Very nice build!
Old 25th August 2013, 07:46 PM   #587
diyAudio Member

Hello
I got a Simple PP kit maybe two years ago and I am now ready to start putting it together . This is my first try at building a tube amp . I am about to order the Transformers from EDCOR and I would like to find out if the XPWR007 or XPWROO8-120 Power Transformers and the CXPP25-MS-7.6K Output Transformer are still the best choices or are there better or more suitable EDCORS now being used . I would really appreciate some advice before confirming my order . Also is there anyone selling a top plate with the tube holes already bored out , or is a stencil available . Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 08:42 PM   #588
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

jasoun,

Let the experts chime in, but OPTs and XPWR008 look like good choices. I have the same OPTs, and my power transformer is the 240v version of the XPWR008.

Have you got the pdf of the PCB from the Tubelab website? That can help you do the holes for the top plate - you can find it here:

http://www.tubelab.com/AssemblyManua...tHere_SPP.html

Last edited by zman01; 25th August 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:20 PM   #589
diyAudio Member

zman01

Thanks a lot for the info on where to find the top plate template , I checked it out and I will be printing it .
Old 26th August 2013, 12:54 PM   #590
diyAudio Member

Re- The Power Transformer for Simple PP , what is the difference in output or any other performance difference between using the EDCOR XPWR007 or XPWROO8-120 Power Transformers . I see where most people use the 008 but then they comment on the tubes being very near to there limit . Reliability is very important for me , will I be giving up much in performance if I go with the safer 007 .
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!