Tubelab Simple P-P - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 10th June 2012, 08:46 PM   #561
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

9K won't hurt a bit , maybe just a very very slight power loss to the new benefit of lower distortion. They do have UL which you might like, but they are only 10W & do look really small.
This will have an affect on the Bass and possibly the Highs. Possibly if you ran them in Triode mode for less than 10W/CH they may work better. If they are only laking in the low end you could run a subwoofer/amp setup. If you can afford a bigger one you probably would be happier IMHO. Output Transformers are really what makes a tube amp sound good.

Ask how many watts are the ATH131 rated for? More than double the price, but may have more interleaving and much bigger cores.

Maybe also check with EA Sowter, Amplimo, AE Europe, & Lundahl.

If you could find a ratty Dynaco SCA-35 over there all the transformers would be great. Those Z-565 OPT transformers are a great STD to look for.

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 10th June 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 05:15 AM   #562
diyAudio Member

I would like to know what switches do i need to wire the cfb and mode for the spp. Do I need the 'on-off-on' or 'off-on-on'?

Progress is coming along slow but sure. I'm using Kiwame, Mills and Takman resistors, Audytechnika coupling Tru Copper caps and Elna electrolytic ones.

As for Primary Tranny i'm opting for a Hammond 372hx/fx. Any recommendations on this? OPt's for me are looking like Hammond again other brands like Triode arent redily available in the UK. Again any recommendations would be welcomed.

I want to spend some time and effort on the enclosure and was considering a anti-vibration mounts, illuminated power switch and even a motorised volume. Can I use the 6.3voutput to run the LEDs?
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:24 PM   #563
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Kerontt,

Have you considered ordering the transformers from the US? A good number of Tubelab PP builders have used Edcor. You can get both OPTs and the power transformer (240 volt models too).
Old 18th January 2013, 05:32 PM   #564
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring diagram for noobs?

Does a wiring diagram like the one below exist for the Tubelab PP?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:02 AM   #565
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
No such diagrams exist from George, I'm afraid. If my memory serves, an SPP builder on this forum made some diagrams.

Keep in mind that the SPP has slight different configurability options than what the SSE has. You can put a switch on the screens to swap between triode and pentode/UL, but there is no cathode-feedback option on the SPP. There is a global feedback loop, but that is largely set-and-forget once you have it the way you want (OPT-dependent). I'm not sure if anyone is actually running the SPP setup as triodes. If you wanted to do it, it would be the same as SSE. The "common" would connect to the PCB with one pole connected to the UL feedback of the OPT (or B+ for pentode) and the other pole would go to the tube plate.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:20 AM   #566
diyAudio Member

Russ,

Thanks for your comments.

As a complete noob, I understand that pentode would standard mode? Not thinking triode or Ultra linear at all , just want to get the amp up and running (with a volume pot if possible) without blowing anything up.
Old 21st January 2013, 01:21 AM   #567
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
It's going to look more like this, but beware that some of the terminals are arranged a bit differently:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st January 2013, 05:00 PM   #568
diyAudio Member

Russ,

Thanks again for the guidance. Will give it a shot.
Old 21st January 2013, 05:43 PM   #569
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
No such diagrams exist from George, I'm afraid. If my memory serves, an SPP builder on this forum made some diagrams.
Indeed there were some excellent diagrams showing terminal strip connections for all 3 possible configurations - which I thought I'd squirreled away on this PC, but apparently not. By the time I find them, they may surface from other sources - perhaps even earlier this lengthy thread.

Quote:

Keep in mind that the SPP has slight different configurability options than what the SSE has. You can put a switch on the screens to swap between triode and pentode/UL, but there is no cathode-feedback option on the SPP. There is a global feedback loop, but that is largely set-and-forget once you have it the way you want (OPT-dependent). I'm not sure if anyone is actually running the SPP setup as triodes.
As my recycled vintage Scott OPTs lacked U/L taps, my original configuration was triode - sounded very nice, but no more power than a DIY hack job I already had on hand, so I soon reconfigured to Pentode.

Quote:

If you wanted to do it, it would be the same as SSE. The "common" would connect to the PCB with one pole connected to the UL feedback of the OPT (or B+ for pentode) and the other pole would go to the tube plate.
\
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:56 AM   #570
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Indeed there were some excellent diagrams showing terminal strip connections for all 3 possible configurations - which I thought I'd squirreled away on this PC, but apparently not. By the time I find them, they may surface from other sources - perhaps even earlier this lengthy thread.

As my recycled vintage Scott OPTs lacked U/L taps, my original configuration was triode - sounded very nice, but no more power than a DIY hack job I already had on hand, so I soon reconfigured to Pentode.

\

I think the drawings referenced above might have been from Ian444? - but I can't recall whether they were posted on the forum, or sent privately - and a quick search on both home and work hard drives doesn't find them yet.

Of course, this may already be moot

edit: try here (Post 353)
Tubelab Simple P-P

yes it was Ian - thanks again

Last edited by chrisb; 22nd January 2013 at 01:13 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!