Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 17th March 2012, 02:28 PM   #551
diyAudio Member

Everything fired up pretty well! B+ is just a breath under 310v. There's a steel case with a full enclosure for the transformers coming up next; it won't see much run-time in that wooden box.

I'll mess around with feedback and UL later on, for now it sounds pretty good. A touch of hum with my head near the speakers, but I'll chase that down later; for now we're smiling and the lady-friend is pleased as all getout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPP test rig.JPG (262.7 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg B+.JPG (276.7 KB, 660 views)
Old 17th March 2012, 02:55 PM   #552
diyAudio Member

If you want any evidence of how disappointing the cameras on the ipad2 are, look no further than the above two photos. I have two far better cameras (a solid Canon point-and-shoot and a Canon DSLR), but as that line about "the best camera" goes, I use what's next to me. Sue took a few with her way-better camera phone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0482.jpg (588.1 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0496.jpg (640.4 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0498.jpg (563.2 KB, 585 views)
Old 17th March 2012, 10:26 PM   #553
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

That's a great team effort! Good job. Those transformers look interesting, can you tell me what type they are and where you sourced them from?
Old 17th March 2012, 11:23 PM   #554
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444 View Post
That's a great team effort! Good job. Those transformers look interesting, can you tell me what type they are and where you sourced them from?
Thanks, we had a pretty good time. We've both been spending too much time at work and pretty much only see each other on Saturday nights and Sundays, and a lot of that time is devoted to shopping/cleaning/laundry, so finding "stuff" to do together has been difficult.

The transformers are from a local shop here in Seoul DHTSound. Nothing fancy about them, just EI core jobs. Afer the OPTs arrived I wondered if couldnt have gone another size up. If you use the Chrome web browser and let it translate the page for you, it isn't too tough to navigate. The link to his transformers is the second from the top on the left menu. I've been to his shop once or twice and I think he winds them himself. He has a line of c-core OPTs that I might try for the TSE board I picked up with the SPP. He has a bunch of other misc. "boutique" audio parts too. I found a guy that makes his own line of cables not far off from him either. $20-$25 for his fanciest offerings in 1-1.5 meter lengths.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:46 PM   #555
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

Have you any more kits available? I'm in the UK and I've just recieved a simple se board which I'm starting soon.

However me being me I've always got the next project lined up before the current one is finished!

Regards
Gavin
Old 29th March 2012, 01:02 PM   #556
diyAudio Member

Default Finished my Tubelab SPP

After 6 weeks, my Edcor transformers finally made it here, and I was able to finish my Simple PP build I started back in early Feb.

I only had two small issues. The first thing I noticed was that it would intermittently produce a loud scratching or popping noise, especially when the enclosure was tapped. I spent about an hour looking for a loose connection, until I noticed arcing in one of the EL84's. When I first received the tube, it had a bent pin. My guess is that me bending the pin back caused a very small air leak. That's the only thing I can think of. Or maybe it was just defective from the beginning.

So after replaced that set of tubes, it worked great! The only problem is that the 50k pot I purchased for a volume control is completely ineffective. I ended up having to install 1.4 M worth of resistors to temporarily get the volume to a reasonable listening level with both our turntable (w/ pre-amp), and our Mac. Is this normal? What POT values do others use? I'd like to have a POT that brings the volume down maybe 10% of the max volume. Suggestions...
Old 31st March 2012, 06:42 AM   #557
diyAudio Member

The attenuation should be similar for any reasonable range of pot values (50k-500k). Did you get a logarithmic taper (otherwise known as an 'audio' pot)? Also, did you hook this up correctly? Do you get any reduction of volume, or only with the knob turned all the way down?

The pot forms a voltage divider, so the overall resistance value is only important to set the input impedance of the amp and the RC time constant with the Miller capacitance of the input stage.
Old 31st March 2012, 05:46 PM   #558
diyAudio Member

Default wiring UL Pentode switch

Hi All

Just coming to the end of my Simple PP Build :-)

So far everything has gone very well thanks to this well informed forum, many thanks to you all.

I'm having a bit of trouble working out how to wire a switch to select between UL and Pentode. I bought two DPDT on-on switches, one for CFB and the other for the UL/Pentode mode. A bit like this....
Click the image to open in full size.

Ive been using the Simple SE wiring guide below, which works for most of the wiring, but its a bit different for the Simple PP.

Click the image to open in full size.

Could someone confirm if i have the correct type of switch, and or offer any advice?

Many Thanks

Mike
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:10 AM   #559
diyAudio Member

Hello George,

Do you have any of the SPP boards and parts kits available? What is the current price?
Old 9th June 2012, 01:57 PM   #560
OleBull is offline OleBull  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default OPT for Simple PP: 9k?

Dear all,

I am looking for output transformers for my SPP kit. Edcor is an option, but shipping from the US to Europe is rather expensive. Accordingly, I am looking for a vendor in Europe. "Ask Jan first" in Germany
http://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm suggested their ATRA0427 OPT:

"High quality low price PP OPT for 10 W and 2* EL 84 or 6V6 etc. This transformer has been made according to an old Telefunken design redesigned to modern core materials.
Primary: 9kOhms Raa
Secondary 4-8 and 16 Ohms. Coresize: EI 78"

From what I have found on the web, the quality of this transformer is very good for the 34 EURO price tag. According to Jan, a "high" production volume makes it possible to sell the ATRA0427 for a decent price.

I am eager to try them with my SPP kit, but are they a good choice? George's recomendation is something like 6.5k - 8k primary impedance, will these 9k transformers serve well in the SPP?

Hide this!Advertise here!