Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 30th November 2009, 01:18 AM   #201
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Thanks. After 3 years of woodworking classes I have built a chassis without sheetrock screws or butt joints. 3 more years and I may be able to do dovetail joints.
You can just use a jig and a router, unless you are a purist demanding dovetails carved with a hammer and chisels.
Old 30th November 2009, 01:36 AM   #202
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Quote:
If you look at the Bevois Valley, the RLD and the Simple P-P you will notice a strong similarity. They are all basically simplified Williamsons.
Yes, I did notice that. This "Thomas" amp I am referring to (from a Thomas "Talking Organ" I received as a child) is a similar circuit also (12AX7 gain + 12AU7 split load phase splitter + pair of 6V6GTs per channel). I've often thought of improving the circuit, since it seems to be optimized for tube life, but the output transformers are *tiny* and probably would need to also be replaced to make it worth the effort. GNFB lets the amp perform reasonably until it starts to clip. Then it breaks up pretty quick for reasons you've mentioned to me before.

All that said, there is a pretty good chance that I will be ordering one of your PCBs...especially if you are selling them as kits with all the PCB components (which it sounds like you are?). I may not build it anytime soon as I don't know how the wife will deal with yet another tube amp sitting around the house.

Quote:
Yeah, sucking about 225 mA from a 175 mA Hammond sourced transformer will generate some heat. There is no place for the heat generated on the PC board to go either since the box containing it is closed.
I guess there is some airflow through this chassis...the tubes are recessed so some air can move out of the chassis between the PCB guard and the top plate. But I also made a point of sinking any hot components that I could. Still, the TSE puts out a lot more heat just being on the bread board than the SSE ever did.
Old 30th November 2009, 02:41 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess there is some airflow through this chassis...
I never got around to making a bottom cover (perforated aluminum on the new Simple P-P amp) or putting any feet on the chassis so the side rails sit right on the wooden bench top. No air can go in, so none can come out. The top plate gets almost too hot to touch and the power transformer does get too hot to touch. I am almost afraid to see what it looks like under there.

Quote:
I will be ordering one of your PCBs...especially if you are selling them as kits with all the PCB components (which it sounds like you are?).
That is the plan. Sherri is putting together the "bag o parts" for the Simple P-P boards. After the credit card recovers we will do the same for the Simple SE.

Quote:
You can just use a jig and a router, unless you are a purist demanding dovetails carved with a hammer and chisels.
Does a guy who calls his company Tubelab but sprinkles sand in many amps sound like a purist? We had a dovetailing jig in the old classroom, but not in the new one. I never had the time to play with it, but I did watch it being used by an experienced user.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:28 PM   #204
tinitus is online now tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Any specs yet, maybe just preliminary ones ?
Voltage, output transformer ratings, something like that, what to look fore etc
But I have no problem with waiting, as long as it takes

Last edited by tinitus; 3rd December 2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 9th December 2009, 05:48 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

Just curious if you had a chance to try that toroid you ordered?
Old 9th December 2009, 01:42 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The transformer is still in the box, unopened. Unfortunately I have been stuck at work late every day (8:14 PM last night) and on a 7 day work week. Broke a tooth last weekend (split down the middle!) which requires a root canal this afternoon followed by more dental surgery. This puts me further behind (not good in this environment) at work so my schedule for the rest of the year is very uncertain.

Quote:
Any specs yet, maybe just preliminary ones ? Voltage, output transformer ratings,
I have mentioned the results of my testing in several posts in this thread, but I don't have anything summarized in one place yet.

I have big changes planned for the Tubelab web site and information related to Tubelab in general. I get more email than I can possibly answer and lately I have spent more of my time (which is very limited right now) answering email than working on the Simple P-P manual. Often I get the same questions from 5 different people (usually asking if I have boards in stock, and how to get one). In order to make this easier for everyone I have decided to try a one year experiment. There will be a Tubelab forum on diyAudio for support and general information. Most of the Tubelab related threads will be moved there. I am paying for this in advance for one year, and I will decide after a year if it is worth it. It is already there, I just don't have the time to set it up now. I will also add a limited shopping cart to my web site early next year. If these two additional expenses allow me the time to actually play with tubes again, it will be a success.
Old 9th December 2009, 03:22 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the tooth, that's gotta hurt.
Old 9th December 2009, 04:24 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
that's gotta hurt
Oddly, it doesn't, yet. I don't even know how or exactly when it happened. I have been known to grind my teeth during the night in stressful times, and I found it Sunday morning, one side of the tooth is gone.
Old 14th December 2009, 03:07 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

I parted out the amplifier from an old Baldwin organ last weekend. I saved the iron and the tubes. The organ was bought new by a church in 1962. It was used until it was deemed beyond economical repair. The amp was removed and used as a PA system. It was replaced by a solid state amp about 2 years ago and given to me. So this amp was used for at least 3 hours a week for 45 years. It contained 8 6BQ5 tubes and 7 were the original Baldwin branded Sylvanias.

Today I decided to see if there was any life left in those old tubes. I plugged them into a Simple P-P board and cranked up the juice. Does 30 WPC at 2% distortion running on 420 volts without exploding sound like there is any life left? I got this idea to run the amp as a single channel mono block using 4 6BQ5's. OK i got 62 watts out of it at 3.7% distortion. I don't have any new tubes that can do this. I guess that the old Sylvanias rock.

Quote:
The first attempt ended badly for one of the 6CW5's. The screen grid lit up and then the lightning started jumping around inside the tube. The B+ was about 310 volts, too high for a 6CW5. I don't have time to figure it out tonight. It is 11PM here and I gotta be at work by 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60Watts_mono_1_A-2.jpg (678.6 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg 60Watts_mono_2_A.jpg (669.5 KB, 569 views)
Old 31st December 2009, 04:23 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

George are the Simple P-P boards and parts kits available for purchase?

Thanks,

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!