Tubelab Simple P-P - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 12th November 2009, 02:58 AM   #161
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
The Simple P-P manual is progressing a bit slower than I planned, and I haven't had the time to integrate any of it into the web site yet.
Hi George-

I noticed that on your website, the buttons on the left hand panel don't display the text properly. This changed a few days ago, FAIK. Perhaps related to working on your web site?
Old 12th November 2009, 03:58 AM   #162
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IF you can find one that has a good teacher and some good equipment.
Good one, tools you can see but an incompetent teacher is difficult to spot beforehand.

Anyway i'm not into doing chairs all i want to learn is to make a dovetail joint and a pro wood finish (think here guitar finish) and being able to use a table saw. By your description (thanks) guess that's not on the menu, well it may be but you'll have to wait... and i only have a couple of months. Back to metal.

I will check your joints and evaluate your work, maybe next step for you is master class.
Old 12th November 2009, 02:10 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will check your joints and evaluate your work, maybe next step for you is master class
I doubt that I will ever be a master at woodworking. In fact I am not even trying to, since I have too many other things to do. I must admit that my woodworking skills are far better than they were when I made the 845SE amp which is 4 pine boards screwed together with sheetrock screws. As long as I am learning something (and it doesn't get too expensive) I will keep at it.

Quote:
pro wood finish (think here guitar finish)
I am sure that every one of these classes is different because they are highly dependent on the teachers preferences, but there has been no mention of wood finishing at all in this class. In fact I have built a solid body guitar and it remains unfinished for now. I haven't completed the vacuum tube based internal electronics yet either.

Quote:
I noticed that on your website, the buttons on the left hand panel don't display the text properly. This changed a few days ago, FAIK. Perhaps related to working on your web site?
Yes, I am trying to post the first cut of the simple P-P instructions, but my web site was built using Microsoft Front Page, which nobody supports any more. The link buttons were pre-canned Front Page items. It looks like I will need to make my own and rebuild each page.
Old 12th November 2009, 07:33 PM   #164
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Hey George...I've managed a few websites over the past 10 years and I've been slowly migrating them all to modern content management systems. The days of authoring static web pages are pretty much in the past, thankfully, as I did them all with a text editor and it gets really old.

With some up-front effort, you can save a lot of time later and make updates so much easier by migrating to a system like this. You can then avoid the problem of what tools you need to keep your site updated and can update it from any PC with an Internet connection and a browser. I've use a few, but for your site something like Joomla or Drupal or maybe even WordPress would do the job nicely.

Just a thought, since I've been actively going through this over the past year or two.
Old 15th November 2009, 08:25 AM   #165
ab0ez is offline ab0ez  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

I've got a couple of Eico HF81 OPTs I've been wondering what to do with as well as a few Gulbransen OPTs pulled from organ amps to mess with so you can count on me for a few boards.

So sorry to hear about your wife's mother. Take care.

Jim AB0EZ
Old 15th November 2009, 10:35 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
Hey George...I've managed a few websites over the past 10 years and I've been slowly migrating them all to modern content management systems. The days of authoring static web pages are pretty much in the past, thankfully, as I did them all with a text editor and it gets really old.
Second that. I still do a lot of web site work in text editors (yes, even "vi"), but where I can, I'll opt for a content management system. For anyone who must maintain a website, but is busy with other chores, these tools are a godsend provided the type of content can be adapted to the constraints of the new system.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:04 AM   #167
diyAudio Member

Out of topic but I'm not the only one.

Quote:
As long as I am learning something (and it doesn't get too expensive) I will keep at it.
Going exotic is expensive. A woodworker like you might be interested in the work of others though. Check the link; too nice for me but interesting.

EWI Amps

Just wait, tropical forests are not that far away from where you live...it can't be that expensive.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:21 AM   #168
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker View Post

Going exotic is expensive.
I dont think its a lot more expencive than to use aluminium
Besides, a small tubeamp doesnt take much wood

With regards to those very nice guitar amps, just think of all the other expencive stuff you would need to make it look like ordinary PRO amps

But to handle those special hardwoods is a different matter, and not easy at all
A very nice almost free side effect, handsome finish comes almost by itself

Last edited by tinitus; 17th November 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 17th November 2009, 01:43 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But to handle those special hardwoods is a different matter, and not easy at all
This is where it gets expensive, no screw ups allowed. It is not fun working with exotic woods, you can't make mistakes. A bit like working in a bomb squad.

Wood and electronics:
New Page 1
Practice Amp guitar woodworking tech gadget DIY hacks hacked
Old 24th November 2009, 03:00 AM   #170
diyAudio Member

I haven't been here in a while so here is the update:

For the last two weeks I have been at work a lot trying hard to keep my job. There has been little time for work on the Simple P-P manual. The good news is that I have this week off. The Simple P-P is now a full time job.

Yes, the web site is busted. My hosting company was bought out by a larger company over the summer. My web site has been moved by them to their new servers, which don't handle many of the non standard features built into Front Page. This disabled the link bars that are built my site. I have found a few other things that don't work including Front Pages built in navigation system. The new pages don't even upload.

I don't claim to be a web designer, and I appreciate the suggestions, but the CMS programs mentioned seem over my head right now. I have several possible solutions to fixing the web site that are being narrowed down right now. Nothing has been confirmed as of yet but some changes are coming....SOON.

Quote:
But to handle those special hardwoods is a different matter, and not easy at all A very nice almost free side effect, handsome finish comes almost by itself
I don't know why, but I don't seem to have a problem blowing up electronics, sometimes I even do it on purpose. It bothers me when I screw up a piece of wood and wind up throwing it out. When I started I used scraps from the junk bin in the classroom. Then I graduated to pine (the cheapest wood you can get here). I stepped up to poplar for my guitar body and red oak for my amplifier chassis. I don't see myself using anything exotic anytime soon. The EWI guitar amps do look nice, too nice to actually use. Many of my amps get dragged around a lot, loaned out, experimented on, and taken apart.

Hide this!Advertise here!