Tubelab Simple P-P - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 7th October 2009, 10:54 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Sylvanias are good.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...Tubes/syl1.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...Tubes/syl2.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...Tubes/syl3.jpg
Old 8th October 2009, 01:59 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
-GE 5-star 6201's (triple mica gray plates)
I looked over at the Simple P-P that is currently playing and the two 6201's are indeed GE 5 star tubes. I looked into the box that is full of loose 6201 tubes and they are mostly Sylvania but about 1/3 of them are GE 6201WA. Some of the Sylvania's are 6201GB (Gold Bond). I guess this must be their answer to the GE 5 star. All seem to work good.
Old 8th October 2009, 06:52 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigloOne View Post
If I recall correctly, the Simple P-P will require 12AT7's in the front end. Any suggestions for brands to look for?
I've been using 12AU7 tubes in my Simple SE (it's been working fine, any input George?) and my favourite by far is the used (old stock) Tung Sol that I picked up cheap. I have a few (also used) Cifte tubes that sound good as well. Fo some reason, the two Electro Harmonix 12AU7's I have sound pretty ordinary, if not just plain bad. I've got some NOS Tung Sol, RCA and GE 12AT7's on the way, and just as many NOS 12AU7's and 12AV7's.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:38 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowTone View Post
I've been using 12AU7 tubes in my Simple SE (it's been working fine, any input George?)
I'm not George, but I'll add my two cents anyway. If you like the sound, then I'd say go for it. The 12AU7 should be just fine. Keep an eye on the heatsinks attached to the IXCP10M45S (the CCS). I'd expect they will be getting hotter with a 12AU7 than they would with the 12AT7 as the watts dissipated in the CCS will be higher (roughly 2.5 watts, vs. 1.5 watts).

Don't try touching them with your finger to check the temperature. They've got 400 volts on them!
Old 8th October 2009, 01:17 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
I'm not George, but I'll add my two cents anyway. If you like the sound, then I'd say go for it. The 12AU7 should be just fine. Keep an eye on the heatsinks attached to the IXCP10M45S (the CCS). I'd expect they will be getting hotter with a 12AU7 than they would with the 12AT7 as the watts dissipated in the CCS will be higher (roughly 2.5 watts, vs. 1.5 watts).

Don't try touching them with your finger to check the temperature. They've got 400 volts on them!
Hey Ty, thanks for the input. I think the CSS modules should be fine, I've got a sink on them that's quite a bit larger that the ones spec'd by George (extruded aluminium, around 12x18x10mm) Don't worry, I definitely won't be touching them. And yes, the 12AU7's in my amp sound great to me.

By the way, after seeing some of the amps you've made and reading some of your posts around diyAudio started my love for the 6P3S-e tube. They're brilliant valves, sound fantastic. The only problem is that now the build of most tubes just doesn't seem good enough
Old 14th October 2009, 10:28 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Just wondering how progress is going on the Simple P-P.

Thanks!
Old 14th October 2009, 11:51 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

I'm so excited I can barely sit still. George I should send you a few dollars to pay for the traffic I'm clocking up checking your site every few hours ;P
Old 15th October 2009, 12:35 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Right behind ja. I check everyday.

I need something to warm up my basement this winter.

Scott
Old 15th October 2009, 04:28 AM   #129
noodle is offline noodle  United States
diyAudio Member

Based on the successful sales of a new simple preamp from bottlehead, i suspect there is a fair amount of pent up demand and this amp should do well. Especially if it gets out before bottleheads stereomour.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:55 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just wondering how progress is going on the Simple P-P.
We got "the" phone call, and set out on our trip on Tuesday. I loaded up the laptop with all of the stuff needed to work on the manual. I planned to work on it while Sherri drove but the weather was so lousy that I did most of the driving. We got to Sherris mothers house in West Virginia late last night. It is currently 40 degrees and raining, but that is a welcome change from the record breaking heat that we left behind in Florida (92 to 94 degrees every day).

I had to fix the phone line (outside in the rain) this morning to get the internet to work (too much hum) so I could check in here. I'll be here for a week or so before heading back south. The exact scherule will be determined by the cancer speciallists in Pittsburgh on Monday. My laptop will follow me and I will be working on the manual whenever I get a chance.

Quote:
the traffic I'm clocking up checking your site every few hours
My current web hosting plan gives me plenty of bandwidth. I will post the progress right here as anything changes. I realize that I haven't updated my web site in a long time and I have all sorts of new stuff to post, but the Simple P-P is priority one right now. I have some new pictures of the Simple P-P boards to post, but I didn't get the time to post them before I had to leave on this trip.

Hide this!Advertise here!