• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

simple se and edcor gxse output transf question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok. I'll follow up on this. I've had the little GXSE's wired up for about two weeks now. It's impressive that the KT88's used cost more than these transformers. Compared to the Hammond 1628SEA's the GXSE10-8-5k's high frequencies have a stronger presence while the thick window rattling bass is no longer there. Not a big deal since I'm using small bookshelf speakers now (WAF).

With the GXSE's I would strongly suggest using feedback. Sound quality improved noticeably with it. I also prefer ultralinear over triode, where the bookshelf speakers aren't real efficient. Sounded good either way.

The GXSE's are a great bang for the buck, but I'd recommend the CXSE's if you can afford it. I'm not a Hammond fan, but I'll stop there.

I'll second the comments made by whitelabrat. I bought a pair of GXSE15-6-2.5K for a 6B4G amplifier. My feelings about them are pretty much exactly the same. Overall, perfectly fine sounding output transformers. A little shy on the bottom end. Unbeatable for the price ($60 for the pair). If money and space is no concern, certainly spring for something bigger. Otherwise you can't go wrong with these Edcors.

whitelabrat: They sound fantastic. Compared to my Moscode amplifier driving my acoustats with vandersteen amplifier via sota star turntable and audible illusions preamp, this tiny watt amp coupled with audio nirvana 10 inch in open baffle with a plate amp driving H frame open baffle sounds more dynamic, and open.
When I have my acoustats going near 100 dB peaks, I get a little nervous! my hand always ready to decrease the volume.
With these guys it starts to get a little distorted at this volume, but it just sounds great.
Course I believe that at that volume you cant really judge the real qualities of a fine stereo. At much more modest volumes this combination is very nice indeed.]
I took the combination to my brothers house, and now am making three more amps for friends and relatives. When I switched to "my stereo" two people let out a gasp and said "oh my"!
Good luck with your amp(s) Due to the time delay, I bet their done by now
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.