simple se how to wire a auxiliary cap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default simple se how to wire a auxiliary cap

I have seen 50/50 and 80/80 capacitors on ebay they look like they have 4 connection terminals.
Can these be used as the auxiliary cap?
Is this a preferred type of cap?
How do you hook these guys up?
If I was to get a cap that is just one sided (?terminology?) does it matter how they are hooked up ( are they polarized)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 03:39 AM   #2
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member
chrish's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney
You need to be a little more specific about your reference to these capacitors. There are multi-section can type electrolytic capacitors that come in 50-50 and 80-80. These are not suitable. You need a MOTOR RUN capacitor. These are non polarised, so it does not matter what way around you connect it. If, by chance, you have a multi-section motor run cap (some for air conditioning units have two values in them, one for the fan and one for the compressor) you could parallel them.

Easiest solution is just to get a 80-100uF cheap motor run from ebay or similar. THere are some threads on this. I picked one up from here ebay capacitor but some forum members have stated that the postage was pretty high, so you might like to look for some other sources.


  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 04:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
boywonder's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: So.Cal.
Paul, as mentioned, the big motor run caps in cans are not polarized so connection either polarity is fine.

Motor start caps are not suitable as they are not designed for continuous duty. The multisection caps sometimes have 4 connections (essentially two caps in one can) and sometimes they have three terminals that share a ground, so two positives and one negative. The important thing is that they are run caps and not start caps. The cap technology is paper in oil (PIO). If you shake them, you can hear the oil sloshing around. Only electrolytics are polarized, film caps and PIO caps are not.
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
simple se ground to speaker wire? pforeman Tubelab 4 27th July 2009 01:13 PM
Simple SE, how to wire CFB with outputs for different speaker impedances? ciagon Tubelab 1 28th August 2008 12:35 PM
A Simple Question About Wire: Please Help rgheck Pass Labs 2 29th January 2007 03:41 PM
MP3 Auxiliary input shanahan Car Audio 3 22nd September 2005 09:14 PM
aes ebu auxiliary data ajs_uk2 Digital Source 3 29th October 2001 02:18 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2