• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Electrolyticless Tubelab Simple SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nic...I won't show this to my own SSE, as it would be totally embarrassed
with it's single, puny, motor run! Nice job!
Well I should be embarrassed for not adding the knobs yet
In case I didn't say it before...nicely done!
Thank you, I really do love the Simple SE especially with the KT88s in there.
I've read elsewhere that the quality of the 6P3S-E can be spotty. Indeed, one of quad I bought failed to light. But it was due to the common Russian problem of bad pin soldering. I hit the pins with a Weller, and all was good.
Does anyone have a preferred seller for a few 6P3S-E I may pick up a few if I can sell of some of these tubes I just picked up.

Does anyone have a preferred seller for a few 6P3S-E I may pick up a few if I can sell of some of these tubes I just picked up.

I bought mine on ebay. Seller is: nixiestore
He is based in Eastern Canada, but mostly ships direct from Russia.
I've bought lots of tubes and other electronics from him. He 100% reliable.

Jim McShane also sells the 6P3S-E. He tests and high-grades them so is more money.

On ebay you'll find the prices for this tube are all over the map. I once saw a lot of 50 NOS 6P3S-E's going B.I.N. for $125.00!

Why won't start caps work?

A motor start cap is connected to an additional winding on the motor for starting purposes only. It is mechanically switched out of the circuit as soon as the motor spins up. It sees duty for about 1 second only during start up. For this reason most start caps are CHEAP electrolytics, often with worse performance than the typical electrolytics made for power supplies.

A motor run cap sees constant duty whenever the motor is running. It is designed to pass a constant AC current, often several amps, continuously, forever. It is made to connect directly to the AC line and has to eat every surge sent its way. The cap must be low loss, low ESR, or it would explode! These are usually Polypropelyne film caps. This is what we want in a power supply.

There was a thread here somewhere where an SSE builder had his "motor" cap spew its guts all over his amp. It was a start cap. Don't go there!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.