• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE output transformer: James or Edcor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, yet another Simple SE thread. I'm starting a build, my first tube amp from scratch.

I have ordered EL34 output tubes. Edcor told me it'll be four weeks before they can get the transformers to me. The question is whether I should switch to James.

James JS-6113HS, rated for 10 watts, $150/pair, can order them today.

Edcor CXSE-25-8-5K, rated for 25 watts, $167/pair, four week lead time.

So they are basically the same price, the wait is the only difference to me (now that I've talked myself into upgrading from the GXSE to the CXSE). The questions I have for the gathered wisdom of diyaudio are:

(a) Will the James JS-6113HS handle the output of the EL34 in ultralinear? Are there tubes I won't want to use because of the size of the 6113 (e.g. KT-88), or will I be OK?

(b) Which one do people think sound better? I've read positive things about both on this board and others.

Thanks for thinking about my n00b question.

- Dogfish

I've never used James myself, but they have a good reputation. If you plan on sticking with EL34 and other smaller types, and especially if you are going to be mostly in triode (KT88 in triode would also be fine), then the James is a good option. CFB will help power-through some of the LF distortion that will occur at higher power level, such as UL mode and/or with bigger tubes. It also depends how you will bias a bigger tube versus an EL34.

The big Edcors are nice in that they can handle just about anything this amp can dish out. However, I feel like they do lose some fine detail due to their massive cores. Luckily I have another amp for the finer things.

Tom you should call and or e-mail Jack for prices. He is very personable but can be hard to get in contact with some times. He is getting narly in his old age, but don't tell him I said that. I believe he has some prices on the web site. I haven't been on his web site recently so I can't say what prices are on there.

Just ask Edcor to design and build you a 15W SE OPT. They'll charge a one-time fee of $20 (last time I asked) and then maybe $60 per OPT instead of $80. Just keep it simple - have a UL tap if you must, but designing for one single 8-ohm secondary spares them a lot of headache.

But most importantly, ask them to give it a model number so the rest of us can try them also :scratch2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.