• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

*my* Tubelab SE build...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, it's not the transformer.

I cut one leg of the rectifier heater windings - nothing.

Next I cut ONE leg of the 660 AC (T1-4)... powered it up and the fuse that I bought from the hardware store never went, but R5 did !! Nicely, sort of like a sparkler... a few days too late though.

R5? That's interesting. B- is drawing too much current. Why would it go with only one phase attached to it... Could be that the fuse I used was extra slo-blow.

I'd suspect the mosfet, but it didn't measure shorted and there is no B+ anyway.

I need ideas at this point...

oldmanStrat said:

Neither side of R5 measures a short to gnd. This is with power off... of course R5 now measures inf... probably have another one in my box of spares. But I'll just blow that one too until this is figured out.

It just seems a little bizarre to me that R5 would blow and not R6. Perhaps R6 can handle the overload better.

rknize said:

It just seems a little bizarre to me that R5 would blow and not R6. Perhaps R6 can handle the overload better.

I wondered that too. R6 is a 5W R5 is a 2W... so it would go first. This could be a case of debug induced problem without solving the real issue. But the problem of blowing fuses is gone... and R5 is pointing the way.

It's a stumper. Kinda like a brain quiz.

OK, so with R5 "gone" you can hook the transformer all back up to the PCB and it doesn't blow fuses? That's a good sign. While R5 is only a 2W part, it's only 270 ohms while the 5W part is 10k. So for a given current through the two, Ohm's law says R5 can handle about 4x the current that R6 can before reaching its dissipation limit. That was my line of thinking anyway. Can you check the resistance of R6 to see if it is still in spec? If it somehow shorted internally (pretty rare, but who knows), maybe it is passing much more current than it should.

If the power supply side checks-out, then yeah...the MOSFETs would be the next thing to look at. Maybe try desoldering one leg of R14 and R25 and then replace R5. If you can power up like that (no tubes, of course), then the MOSFETs are likely the culprit.

EDIT: the above might be such a good idea...maybe George can chime-in here but lifting those resistors might cause C6 and C7 to see too much voltage due to the drop in current draw on the B- rail. In this circuit, I measure about 200k between the source and the drain (pin 3 and 2). Put positive lead from yoru meter on the source.

rknize said:
OK, so with R5 "gone" you can hook the transformer all back up to the PCB and it doesn't blow fuses?

I haven't hooked the transformer back up yet...

I would agree with you that it could be the mosfets, but since there is no B+ I just don't see a current path there...

Bad diodes D2 or D3 or bad caps C6 or C7. I would bet on the diodes.

My meter says that they are both still diodes. Although one is dropping more than the other (.8v vrs .6v). The caps appear to be still caps, since there are no shorts.

oldmanStrat said:
I would agree with you that it could be the mosfets, but since there is no B+ I just don't see a current path there...

There is a path to ground through the diode that you strapped across the B+ bleeder resistor.

My meter says that they are both still diodes. Although one is dropping more than the other (.8v vrs .6v). The caps appear to be still caps, since there are no shorts.

Well if the diodes are good, you should be able to apply power to B- with R5 out of the picture.

I have seen these diodes measure good with an ohm meter but still break down when high voltage is applied. With R5 removed and the 5AR4 removed but the transformer reconnected, a blown fuse would indicate bad diodes.

Shorted mosfets will generally make R6 hotter than normal but not bother R5. It will put positive bias on the output tubes causing them to get upset and possibly blow fuses.

Test as above (no tubes installed). No R5. Blow fuse, replace diodes. No blown fuse, Replace R5 and try again. Blown fuse or smoking R5, replace caps. No smoke, verify negative voltage present. Voltage OK, install 5AR4 (no other tubes). Measure voltage at output tube grids. It should be adjustable via the bias pots. If one channel does not adjust and is at a positive voltage, replace the mosfet for that channel and check the grid stopper resistor.

tubelab.com said:
I have seen these diodes measure good with an ohm meter but still break down when high voltage is applied. With R5 removed and the 5AR4 removed but the transformer reconnected, a blown fuse would indicate bad diodes.

Shorted mosfets will generally make R6 hotter than normal but not bother R5. It will put positive bias on the output tubes causing them to get upset and possibly blow fuses.

Test as above (no tubes installed). No R5. Blow fuse, replace diodes. No blown fuse, Replace R5 and try again. Blown fuse or smoking R5, replace caps. No smoke, verify negative voltage present. Voltage OK, install 5AR4 (no other tubes). Measure voltage at output tube grids. It should be adjustable via the bias pots. If one channel does not adjust and is at a positive voltage, replace the mosfet for that channel and check the grid stopper resistor.

Thanks George - sounds like a plan. I'll get to some of this today, but replacing parts - yeah, I didn't order extras.

One thing - I was using a 5U4-GB/A old used tube for the rectifier. Any chance this had something to do with smoking the diodes/caps etc (assuming that is what the problem is)

PaulyT said:
Look at the R30 section of the Resistors page in the assembly manual. It talks about putting a diode across R30 to prevent (slight) reverse charge on C5 on startup.

Err, yeah, No diode. I remember seeing it but I already bought my parts and I don't have an equivalent one lying around...

You know - I do have an inrush current limiter in circuit... this takes a few seconds to warm up which delays B+ even longer - perhaps that slightly negative voltage is more damaging that it would be normally...

oldmanStrat said:

This is exactly what happened. Took out D2 D3 and the fuse is spared.

So now I want to know why!

I'm placing a digikey order tonight - with all the cap's/mosfets/diodes in the bias path.

I used the same Fairchild Stealth diodes here that I used in my SSE. They are similar to what George recommends for the SSE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.