*my* Tubelab SE build... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 24th June 2009, 03:17 AM   #31
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Looks good! I got all of my 45s off of eBay. They are all used, but most are strong. Some were bought in lots, other not. Got 1 or 2 duds, but the rest all work fine in the amp. I think I have a total of 7 or 8 usable pairs out of the bunch.
Old 27th June 2009, 12:50 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

more progress... mostly.

Drilled all of the holes for the xfmrs, and grommeted the wire entry.

Unfortunately when I was working on the tube holes, my el-cheapo harbor freight hole punch set gave up the ghost. You can see the screw on the top plate, bent quite a bit. What happened is that the cutting piece of the punch lost a couples of edges - looks like it was made out of cast iron. So when I was tightening it at some point it decided to bend rather than cut.

My intention was to use the small hole cutter to cut the big ones, since the screw for the larger diameter holes is so big, I can't find a drill bit large enough for the pilot hole! I may have to resort to using a dremel cutting tool to get my pilot hole started for the other three tubes.

This chassis is a lot bigger than it needs to be, but I purposely wanted this to be an easy build.

The only things unusual I have planned are hinges for the top plate and handles on the side for easy transport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0071a.jpg (87.5 KB, 504 views)
Old 27th June 2009, 12:56 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
my el-cheapo harbor freight hole punch set gave up the ghost
I busted two of those. I gave up and bought a Greenlee.
Old 27th June 2009, 01:01 AM   #34
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
You get what you pay for at that place. Big, clunky steel things are usually fine and some of the tools and other supplies are OK. I needed an engine hoist and a 1 ton would have been plenty. I got the 2-ton, though.
Old 27th June 2009, 06:11 AM   #35
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Exact same thing happened with mine as well. Have since purchased better...
Old 27th June 2009, 07:11 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rknize
If you have a "real" electrical supply store, like for contractors and manufacturing, they will likely have it. There is a local surplus store near me that had boxes of used ones
In Chicago? Where?
Old 29th June 2009, 12:52 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

power xfmr and opts wired up & power switch. Also got the handles on the side of the box on. I think they are going to come in real handy.

My biggest issues are the holes for the tubes. I'll probably end up buying a hole saw and cutting a smaller than needed hole - and then use a bigger punch. You can see what a mess the small punch made of the gain tube holes. I plan on enlarging them and covering the holes with a metal mesh - the board sits low enough that the gain tubes won't come close to poking out of the top plate.

I have a few component subs to do on the PCB and wire up the volume and input jacks. I have some nice shielded audio cable in the office that I'll use for that.

I bought a hinge for the top plate, but that might need a degree of accuracy that me and my hand drill can't match. Wish I had a press...

Oh, and the wood block is temporary until I have worked out all the grounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0072a.jpg (92.4 KB, 455 views)
Old 30th June 2009, 12:56 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

wired the input and vol pot up this evening... added a few missing grounds.... and powered her up.

No blown fuses.

B+ settled at 412 or so. B- was at -245, which has me a bit concerned.

Haven't popped in the 300b's yet or the gain tubes. I'll do that tomorrow, past the second beer mark and I know better than to be messing with this now...

I still have to find a piece of aluminum that is thick enough to attach to the heat sink. I thought for sure I'd have something around... guess I'll have to hit the local HW store for stock.
Old 30th June 2009, 01:24 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Hello guys,
Excuse me but i'm ordering the boards tonight and I have 2 questions. First, Where is the parts list for the Tubelab SE? Second, I will use a choke for my Simple SE, what is the value? Thanks and pardon me. Godspeed.

John Revilla
Old 30th June 2009, 01:47 AM   #40
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Doc JR, here - http://www.tubelab.com/AssemblyManua...sLists_TSE.htm and 5H 200mA

Hide this!Advertise here!