*my* Tubelab SE build... - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th July 2009, 12:32 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rknize

I used the same Fairchild Stealth diodes here that I used in my SSE. They are similar to what George recommends for the SSE.

I used what was on his parts list. For the SSE, I'd have to check my paperwork... sadly that hasn't been filed yet
Old 10th July 2009, 09:41 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

My parts arrived today and I went through George's list.

Apparently all that was wrong was a blown FRED. The mosfets appear fine. The FREDs are exactly the part specified on the web site - they appear to be IXYS parts. I really hope they don't blow again.

I'm making a few modifications to the amp now that it is apart. I decided to add a small 12v fan to blow across the heat sinks and the board. I'm going to isolate it with some rubber grommets, and power it with a small wall wart that I've taken apart.

I also found a small heat sink that I'm going to mount on the back of the existing D1/U1 sink - between the larger heat sink and the fan, I think I should have a much cooler chassis.

I should have everything put back together tonight...
Old 11th July 2009, 12:08 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

The amp is up and running again!

And I have a much better thermal solution - although the fan I'm using can be heard with the cover open, once I get the cover closed up I'm hoping that it will be fairly quiet.

With the new heat sink and fan the D1/U1 combo are much happier. Roughly 1/2 the temp of before - 40 to 50C.

pic below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0088a.jpg (71.7 KB, 205 views)
Old 11th July 2009, 01:11 AM   #124
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Opening the holes around the tubes also helps with convection, assuming there is some sort of intake.
Old 11th July 2009, 01:17 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Ok, I noticed this before, but one of the channels comes on first by a few seconds... I assume that this is the difference between the two input tubes. But it's pretty abrupt, not like a heater gradually coming to temp...

Oh - and THANKS for all the help George, Russ & PaulyT... it's great to have support...
Old 11th July 2009, 01:49 AM   #126
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Yeah, mine does that too. I think it's some interaction with the input tube warm-up and their respective CCS.
Old 11th July 2009, 12:13 PM   #127
PaulyT is offline PaulyT  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome, though I don't think my "help" was as useful as Russ's and George's... There will be time to return the favor, since I'll hopefully be powering up mine pretty soon, and I'm sure I'll have mor questions. I'm having a hard time finding an appropriately sized heatsink, too, though I think I've got one ordered now that will work.
Old 11th July 2009, 03:24 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

There are tons of heat sinks. http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/638/1947.pdf
Old 11th July 2009, 04:03 PM   #129
PaulyT is offline PaulyT  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah, thanks, I didn't look too closely at mouser, was using mostly digikey. Though the one I ended up getting was this because it was about the right size (~4cm square) and a flat bottom, just have to drill a few holes. Plus if I need a fan with cute blue spinning lights I'm in business.
Old 11th July 2009, 05:11 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

if you can get away without using a fan I would. Mine is too loud, so I'll probably end up putting a resistor in series to lower it's RPM's...

Hide this!Advertise here!