• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Another simple se question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry fella's, another question . . .

I have just fired my breadboard simple se up for a lunchtime listen and one channel was louder than the other, seemed fine yesterday. . .
So i swapped speaker wires around and sure enough the louder channel moved too, but after a couple of minutes all was well and balance is restored!?

Is that just warm up time or do i have a problem?

Thanks,
Darran.

My Simple SE is equally loud in both channels pretty much as soon as sound begins to come out. I would try swapping the two power tubes with each other and see if the imbalance follows the tubes. If you have a spare 12AT7, I'd try that too.

Try to avoid short-cycling the power switch. If you turn the amp off, let it cool completely before turning it back on.

When I have a JJ 12AT7 in there, I hear a similar effect. The amp fades-in gradually like any warming tube amp does, then it seems to stop for a few seconds at a lower volume until it suddenly comes to full volume. It doesn't take minutes as you describe, but it is unusual.

I am guessing it is either some interaction between the input tube and the CCS's or perhaps something with the CCS's when the power tubes come to full conduction and the B+ sags. It seems to happen at different times between the channels and it is much more apparent with the JJs in there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.