Nubie first build Tubelab simple SE - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 16th April 2009, 05:43 AM   #21
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Much of the amp is going to cost the same regardless of choice of "budget" or "top-end". This includes the printed circuit board from Tubelab, the valve sockets, resistors, power socket, speaker binding posts, maybe even chassis etc. I would suggest working out how much this stuff is going to cost you. You can then work out how much you have left to buy the output transformers, coupling caps etc.

Options for coupling caps, get them from whoever you end up getting tubes/choke etc. Worth considering is something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/0-22uF-1000V-PIO...d=p4634.c0.m14 sound very good and well priced.

Optional power supply capacitor, I used this http://cgi.ebay.com/80-mfd-500-VAC-C...742.m153.l1262

I used a hammond 193H choke 5H 200mA, about $30 from Antique Electrical Supply. Suitable to top mound as it has end bells. You can get a Triad choke for about half that, but would probably be required to be mounted under the chassis http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...=&SEARCH=&MPN=

Have Fun!!!
Old 16th April 2009, 06:14 AM   #22
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
My 2 cents on transformers: I went with all Edcors on my Simple SE...the big ones. They are:

XPWR035 - not on the website
CXSE25-8-5K

I don't plan on buying Hammond power transformers anymore, but I haven't heard anything recently bad about their output transformers. They still seem to be of reasonable quality. The Edcors don't have multiple output taps while some of the Hammonds do.

Here's my thread if you want to see them. The last post shows them all jammed on a 10x12" backplate. I decided to go another route with the chassis....

Tubelab Simple SE with big honkin' Edcors?
Old 16th April 2009, 02:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

If I had it to do over again I would probably use the same iron as rknize. Edcor probably is the best bang for the buck. Then a C-14X choke at Allied along with a 120uF 500v cap (overstock sale on the Cornell Dubliner 380LX121M500K032!) and whatever parts that you can't find at digikey.

I would avoid the Hammond 274BX like the plague. I'm currently using the Hammond 373BX for power. The 1628SEA output transformers are great, but are pricey and very heavy.

You can also save a lot on the output tubes although I think EH KT88's are the best I've tried so far. It's better to put your money into the output transformers now, since you can upgrade the tubes anytime.
Old 17th April 2009, 02:31 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Well by the time I check out all these leads and options I should know this monkey inside out.
Rkni ze those are monster transformers
Cheers Ron.
Old 18th April 2009, 02:16 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bacon665
5 to 700 dollars?
Wheres all the money going to, The transformers?
Old 18th April 2009, 02:41 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HEADinaJAR
I mail ordered everything and I've spent $700CDN. 3/8ths of that was shipping cost/customs.
As he said, a lot of it went to the middle man. In today's currency, $700CDN is about $580 US. His cost is realistic considering what he might be paying for shipping and customs.

I spent about $365 on mine without the tubes or the chassis. I can't count what I spent on tubes - it just keeps going and going. The Genalex reissues alone cost $100 for the pair. The chassis was built out of scrap metal and lumber, so I paid practically nothing for it. Some people can easily drop over $100 for nice chassis material.

Circuit board, $43 shipped
Circuit parts, $72 shipped from Mouser & DigiKey
Transcendar OPT, $105 shipped
Power TX & choke, $133 shipped
Sockets, $12 shipped
Old 18th April 2009, 02:47 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bacon665
So it is the transformers driving the cost up....
Interesting.
I figured instead of power transformers most people would use a resistor array as a voltage divider with a current shut and inducter. feed it to the rectifier and then have a stiffening cap in parralel to the bridges output.

as for the Audio transformer... idk

But it still seems cheaper to use an equivalent circuit instead of a Power transformer.
Old 18th April 2009, 03:13 AM   #28
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Spend the money for the OPT, though. That is a good place to invest what you can.
Old 18th April 2009, 03:29 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bacon665
So it is the transformers driving the cost up....
Interesting.
I figured instead of power transformers most people would use a resistor array as a voltage divider with a current shut and inducter. feed it to the rectifier and then have a stiffening cap in parralel to the bridges output.

But it still seems cheaper to use an equivalent circuit instead of a Power transformer.

You need a power transformer for safety, to separate/isolate the mains from the amp circuitry for a variety of reasons. It also comes in handy to get the proper B+ voltage for the tubes (350V-375V)

BTW, the budget Allied power transformer that Tubelab recommends is about $44+shipping from Allied Electronics.
Old 18th April 2009, 05:23 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boywonder

BTW, the budget Allied power transformer that Tubelab recommends is about $44+shipping from Allied Electronics.
$50.32 USD, actually + shipping- just checked the website.
The costs do inspire one to keep that box of (basement of) 'junk' for a rainy day...

John

Hide this!Advertise here!