Simple se parts, all needed? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
newtube is offline newtube  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default Simple se parts, all needed?

Guys, i'm building one of George's simple se amps and i was wondering if you can tell me what purpose the FREDS and CCS with heatsinks serve? can they be replaced with anything else?

I'm having trouble sourcing them here in the uk.

  Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 09:07 PM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member
rknize's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
The FREDs are not used until the tube rectifier bypass is shorted. If you plan on only using the GZ34 rectifier, you can omit them.

The CCSs are used as plate loads for the input stage to get as much gain as possible out of them. If you can find an equivalent part (high voltage), you should be able to substitute it with the corresponding modifications. I imagine you could also use resistors instead and sacrifice some gain. Not sure what that would sound like.

  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 03:45 AM   #3
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member
chrish's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney
Order the CCS from DigiKey online.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 10:14 PM   #4
dubdub is offline dubdub  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Hi- I would omit the ss rectifiers, these parts are proving to be unreliable and will soon be replaced on tubelab website with an alternative
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
newtube is offline newtube  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Hi guys, i just want to check something with you boys. . .

I am only using tube rectification so i can do without the freds and i don't need to put anything in their place?

Now, what can i use instead of the ccs and heatsinks? i don't want to deal with digikey as they have messed me around big time, so what are my options fella's?

This is the only thing stopping me from finishing the amp.
Thanks again,
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 09:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
Ty_Bower's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newark, DE
Try these part numbers from Mouser:

  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple 6L6 PP Guitar Design Needed Trout Instruments and Amps 11 7th March 2014 03:51 AM
Simple amp from used parts Domkuip Solid State 2 23rd October 2008 10:24 AM
Simple pre-amp schematic needed imperfectcircle Solid State 12 23rd February 2007 01:49 AM
simple shematique needed bosse Solid State 8 12th April 2006 09:33 AM
KEF parts needed Armadel Multi-Way 0 11th January 2002 08:16 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2