• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Starting a Simple SE build...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New (old) guy here.... sadly I've contracted this awful disease - I can't seem to be able to buy anything audio related anymore. I have to BUILD it. Weird.

So I am now building - or will be building a Simple SE. I've pulled together all of the parts I'll need but there are a couple that I'm having trouble sourcing.

First the volume pot. Based on the schematics I need a dual 50k pot. I found a couple on Digikey but they were >$22 each. Seemed kinda high.

Second, the power choke. I thought I saw a part number on tubelab, but I can't seem to find it again!!!

I'm attaching the list of parts I chose and prices so I can add up what this is going to cost me.

At the moment I have an S5 16LS amp driving Fostex FE166E homebuilt horns - and it sounds damn good... but slightly lacking.

From the list below I have chosen the Allied power transformer and the Edcor OPT's. The Edcor's are 3 weeks out !!!!

Tube lab design

Output tubes EL34 (soviet) T-EL34-WC-MP $46.4 (both)
input gain tube 12AT7
T-12AT7-FND 12AT7 - DUAL TRIODE, FENDER $10.25
www.tubesandmore.com
rectifier tube 5AR4
T-5AR4-SOVT $16.95
www.tubesandmore.com

Power transformer hammond 274BX $92.36
http://www.newark.com/hammond/274bx/transformer-power/dp/66F7310?_requestid=272086

Also can use Allied 6K7VG $50.32
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...MPN=6K7VG&R=2270013&SEARCH=2270013&DESC=6K7VG

output transformer $117.95 x 2
TRANSFORMER, OUTPUT, ONE ELECTRON, 4800 TO 16/8/4
www.tubesandmore.com
another OPT choice: CXSE25-8-5K $83.50 x2
http://www.edcorusa.com/Products/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=465

Circut board $43
tubelab.com

Digikey parts $92.12

Hammond chassis $26.02

subtotal $427 - $520

shipped Digikey $128.66

oldmanStrat said:
New (old) guy here.... sadly I've contracted this awful disease - I can't seem to be able to buy anything audio related anymore. I have to BUILD it. Weird.

Common disease. There is no cure except for more cow bell...er projects.

First the volume pot. Based on the schematics I need a dual 50k pot. I found a couple on Digikey but they were >$22 each. Seemed kinda high.

Radio Shack still sells one that I have used many times. It is very good. A 100k pot will work fine too...just make sure it's audio taper.

Second, the power choke. I thought I saw a part number on tubelab, but I can't seem to find it again!!!

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...MPN=C-14X&R=9671006&SEARCH=9671006&DESC=C-14X

From the list below I have chosen the Allied power transformer and the Edcor OPT's. The Edcor's are 3 weeks out !!!!

Yeah, it's a bummer but I for one am glad to hear they are busy. Their stuff is a great value for the money as they make top notch stuff.

You can also use Edcor XPWR035, which barely gets warm in my Simple SE. Here are the specs:

370-0-370 @ 200mA
6.3 VCT @ 5A
5V @ 2A

output transformer $117.95 x 2
TRANSFORMER, OUTPUT, ONE ELECTRON, 4800 TO 16/8/4
www.tubesandmore.com
another OPT choice: CXSE25-8-5K $83.50 x2
http://www.edcorusa.com/Products/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=465

I have both of these. Be aware that the One Electron does not have a 40% tap, so you won't be able to run Ultralinear if you want. I have the CXSE25-8-5Ks as well. They are monsters but they sounded great when I had the rig bread-boarded.

Hammond chassis $26.02

What size is this? Be warned that all that iron is REALLY TIGHT on a 10x12" chassis:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1783961#post1783961

Russ

For audio pots- Alpha are pretty good, especially for the money.
Mouser part# RV24BF-10-15R1-A50K

I agree with the advice to make the chassis large enough.... though they are expensive.
It's a lot easier to control hum problems if you have enough space to route signal wires apart from AC.

If you are 'handy' you can make a chassis with a wood frame and aluminum top plate. I really like the Eric Kingsbury (pointz- audiotropic.com) style chassis, and have used it on a few different projects.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• pointz chassis.jpg
    pointz chassis.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,318
Re: Re: Starting a Simple SE build...

rknize said:
Common disease. There is no cure except for more cow bell...er projects.

cowbells? I'm afraid to ask.

Radio Shack still sells one that I have used many times. It is very good. A 100k pot will work fine too...just make sure it's audio taper.

Just what I need - an excuse to go to RS and harass the teenagers. (Can you show me your vacuum tube section?)

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...MPN=C-14X&R=9671006&SEARCH=9671006&DESC=C-14X

Yeah, it's a bummer but I for one am glad to hear they are busy. Their stuff is a great value for the money as they make top notch stuff.

Thats what I heard - I also like the way they look ;)

You can also use Edcor XPWR035, which barely gets warm in my Simple SE. Here are the specs:

I'll check it out once Edcor's site is back up.... they seem to be having issues lately.

What size is this? Be warned that all that iron is REALLY TIGHT on a 10x12" chassis:

It is a 10x12. But I have only bought the cover for that chassis. My plan is to build a box out of red oak - mount everything on the cover put the cover on top of the box - with the volume out the front and the power & I/O out the back.

Thanks for your input!

VictoriaGuy said:
If you are 'handy' you can make a chassis with a wood frame and aluminum top plate. I really like the Eric Kingsbury (pointz- audiotropic.com) style chassis, and have used it on a few different projects.
John

Yes building the box + alum top is exactly what I have in mind. The link for the volume pot is just what I am looking for...

Can you send me the link for Eric's stuff - I'd like to take a look...

Thanks!

The Simple SE is a great amp to build. I still enjoy mine. I posted a long thread while I was building it, and in the middle is my parts list. Maybe it'll give you some ideas:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1591160#post1591160

I thought it was a little less expensive to buy most parts from Mouser, and some of the high voltage capacitors and the semiconductors from DigiKey.

I'll second the recommendation for a good sized chassis. I used a 9"x14" aluminum top plate. It all fit, but just barely. Larger would be better.

Cow bell fever is tough. I can't help you there. Gotta get some BOC to fix that...

oldmanStrat said:

Can you send me the link for Eric's stuff - I'd like to take a look...
I had the audiotropic link incorrect- sorry- it's .net, not .com

Aardvarkash has the link for you, above.

If you don't want to do the 'trick' in the Pointz chassis with the wiring from the PS to the amp hidden in the wood frame, you could just float a nice wood panel in the space between the 2 parts of the chassis.

BTW, the Pointz MM is a really good sounding amp for your next project. ;)

Cheers
John

Power transformer hammond 274BX $92.36.......Also can use Allied 6K7VG $50.32

The Allied IS a Hammond. It is bigger (more laminations) than the 274BX because it is rated for 50Hz operation, and it costs a lot LESS. Why would you buy the 274BX? I have used them both and I prefer the Allied.

If you really want a 274BX get it from AES it is $78.95. The 374BX is reported to be better than either of the others, but it costs $116.05.

tubelab.com said:

The Allied IS a Hammond. It is bigger (more laminations) than the 274BX because it is rated for 50Hz operation, and it costs a lot LESS. Why would you buy the 274BX? I have used them both and I prefer the Allied.

If you really want a 274BX get it from AES it is $78.95. The 374BX is reported to be better than either of the others, but it costs $116.05.

I was just putting together a list of possible parts. I did end up purchasing the Allied. It was $62 with shipping!

Since I have "the man" himself on the line - can I ask if my PCB is on the way to Littleton MA ??? No pressure - I've got plenty to do...

VictoriaGuy said:

I had the audiotropic link incorrect- sorry- it's .net, not .com

Aardvarkash has the link for you, above.

got it. I've been entertaining myself reading his site...

If you don't want to do the 'trick' in the Pointz chassis with the wiring from the PS to the amp hidden in the wood frame, you could just float a nice wood panel in the space between the 2 parts of the chassis.
I am going to drop all the AC below the top plate - it needs to be switched & fused & wired to the rear IEC - so that seems to make the most sense.

BTW, the Pointz MM is a really good sounding amp for your next project. ;)
holy crap. I don't even have the parts for this one yet....!!!!

stop feeding the addiction man!

boywonder said:

It's a slippery slope......I haven't got Poinz' EL34 music machine off of the breadboard yet and I am sitting here simultaneously stuffing the SimpleSE and TubelabSE boards:D

Seriously - two tube amps is one more than I really need. I'm just going to build the SE, and then the Fostex FE206E horns (big monster cabinets) then maybe a phono preamp. And I was thinking of building a SS amp for comparison purposes... And thats it.... unless my son wants an amp for college...

Damn. Is there a 13 step program for DIY?

Damn. Is there a 13 step program for DIY?

You that you have got it bad when you find your self building an amp listening to it for a week or so and then taking it all apart so that you can build something else.

After doing this for 40+ years I learn to never cut a transformer lead to length. I leave them long because I know that I am going to need more wire on the next amp. My big Edcor OPT's are in their third amp. and the little guys have been in at least 5. I don't even bother to make a chassis any more, I just screw everything to a piece of wood.

Later this year I might break down and get a modern TV since the newest TV in the house is 12 years old. Of course I will need a "modern" sound system to go with it. This means that I might get to make at least one complete amp this year. There were none last year.

two tube amps is one more than I really need.

Two is more than I really need too, but I can see 6 complete amps and several more in pieces from where I am sitting, and right now, NONE of them are connected to my speakers. What is the number for DIYanon?

tubelab.com said:
I don't even bother to make a chassis any more, I just screw everything to a piece of wood.

Thats how my S5 is sitting in my office. I can just see my cat wandering in one day a loosing a couple of lives...

Two is more than I really need too, but I can see 6 complete amps and several more in pieces from where I am sitting, and right now, NONE of them are connected to my speakers.

6 amps sitting there doing nothing? Dude, send one of them my way and I promise I'll keep the tubes warm ;)

What is the number for DIYanon?

First you have to admit you have a problem...

B+ question

Ok - so I'm going through the parts from Digikey that just showed up and I re-read the note on R17/R27 - the cathode resistors. Wanting to double check the value, I tried to figure out an approximate B+ voltage...

Now if I have 750CT transformer or 375-0-375, my understanding is that this is an RMS number. Which would leave me with 375/.707 or 530V!

Now I know this is wrong. What I don't know is why...

Lastly I want to sneak in a motor run cap question - these caps seem to be spec'd fairly low in value (10-20uf) and as AC. I believe that this would be installed on the B+ (optional cap on the schematics) - so the question is why? There is already a 100uf there... if I'm way off track feel free to let me know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.